Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it true you used to be able to downvote posts on TSR?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I am not evidencing your argument because making it clear which side was more popular did not stop the less popular opinions from being aired, else there wouldn't have been long discussions and debates and there certainly were! And you're assuming all discussions were disproportionately veered towards one side which isn't necessarily the case. Just like many current topics, many of the ones back then would have a similar amount of those in favour and those against. Have in mind that the removal of neg rep doesn't mean you can't tell when one opinion is more popular, it just takes longer. You weren't here when neg rep was around were you?

Topics that have a disproportionately large number of people in favour than against actually tend to die out rather quickly because discussions where everyone is saying "yes, I agree with you". "Oh, I agree too" get boring very quickly, for obvious reasons. Moreover, it can be argued that with neg rep around people may have thought their responses through more so as not to be negged. Now any comment can only be pos repped. And as another poster has said in the next page of this thread, some troll threads last far longer than they should do because of no neg rep.

Good lord, stop with your ridiculous histrionics, "mob rule" :lol:. It was a virtual red thumb on a student website, not a weapon that physically beat them. Students are old enough to realise that not everybody in the world has the same opinion and that often in life you will have yours criticised. I see nothing wrong with experiencing the consequences of holding an unpopular opinion or making a rude/unpleasant comment. It's quite frankly insulting that we're treated like babies who can't handle the most minimal conflict.

Just having pos rep is pointless and worthless without its opposite. It gives completely false impressions and allows people who consistently give unhelpful advice or make troll posts to seem popular and helpful.
    I suspect that the TSR management were just thinking of the commercial aspects - in the final analysis, they don't really care much about the quality of threads or discussions, just the click and visitor counts that they can sell to advertisers and partners. The neg rep was probably seen as putting some people off using the site - they probably had focus group / poll stats to back that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Whose ISA?
    Follow the thread to her profile. Short for "Imsoacademic" - she was one of the best known TSR posters. Characterised by insane levels of obedience to the Sacred Pursuit of Oxbridge and utterly dismissive of all who did not share in her views. Also regularly posted very intriguing but ultimately depressing explanations of her sad life and desperately awful self-worth.

Went to Durham and as far as we know, doing well. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Follow the thread to her profile. Short for "Imsoacademic" - she was one of the best known TSR posters. Characterised by insane levels of obedience to the Sacred Pursuit of Oxbridge and utterly dismissive of all who did not share in her views. Also regularly posted very intriguing but ultimately depressing explanations of her sad life and desperately awful self-worth.

Went to Durham and as far as we know, doing well. :teehee:
    What is this 'sexual mermaid theory?' Alow mentioned it to me but this was obviously way before I even signed up to TSR lol

ReputationRep:
    What is this 'sexual mermaid theory?' Alow mentioned it to me but this was obviously way before I even signed up to TSR lol
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1698041

Enjoy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    She sounds bitter af

ReputationRep:
    She sounds bitter af
    You had to kind of follow her posts for a while - there was a strange, black humour to a lot of it and a definite Subculture of One - kind of interesting, if you like that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Why not come up with a better implement of the old feature to stop trolling?

I mean for example, when you click on the down vote button you must write detailed explanation about why you think this post or topic is unhelpful and then its sends a report to the forum mods to act.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like the neg button, often people would neg a post without even reading it just because other people had. But a rep system with no neg is pretty pointless too.

(Original post by ChrisN)
    snip
    I'd be interested to know if the removal of neg rep has increased post numbers.

It was said at the time that neg rep discouraged people from posting because they were scared of getting negged (which was probably true), but TSR seems less busy now than it did then. :dontknow:

(Original post by iEthan)
    Wasn't this that Oxford thread? :toofunny: Ah, the ISA days too… :moon:
    Were you even on TSR back then? According to your post history, you only made a handful of posts in 2013, then left and started posting again in 2015, by which time ISA was long gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I didn't like the neg button, often people would neg a post without even reading it just because other people had. But a rep system with no neg is pretty pointless too.

I'd be interested to know if the removal of neg rep has increased post numbers.

It was said at the time that neg rep discouraged people from posting because they were scared of getting negged (which was probably true), but TSR seems less busy now than it did then. :dontknow:

Were you even on TSR back then? According to your post history, you only made a handful of posts in 2013, then left and started posting again in 2015, by which time ISA was long gone.
    Indeed. I wasn't inactive from 2013 onwards. Just never felt the urge to post as I just used it for revision bits and bobs. I had accounts before this one too. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and negs need to come back.
    A TSRian trollish bloodbath.

(Original post by meenu89)
    TSR thought it could be a way of bullying others....

I long for a good negging..
    You sure you didn't mean to replace the first 'n' for a 'p'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    It wasn't a downvote. It was neg rep. An easy way to say 'I don't like you/what you say' with no accountability. If you don't like what someone says then it's easy enough to use words still, but at least you have to express your opinion
    Exactly the same thing applies to upvote. If downvote encourage flame wars, upvote encourages herd thinking (easier to upvote than to express your opinion). Of course, you are the owner and overlord of TSR so it is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    And prevent people speaking their mind?
    It doesn't. Neg reps don't result in removals of your post.

ReputationRep:
    Whose ISA?
    Ah, you kids can't remember...

ReputationRep:
    Aw negs those were the days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Was this a thing?

Were there like two tracks of rep- a thumbs up one and a thumbs down one?
    Yes, those were the days :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbf she made so many threads on that subject that we may actually be talking about different ones.

And that's not even getting into her sexual mermaid theory etc :rofl:
    ARRRRRGH, Y U REMIND ME OF SEXUAL MERMAID THEORY!!!! :afraid: :hide: :ahhhhh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    ARRRRRGH, Y U REMIND ME OF SEXUAL MERMAID THEORY!!!! :afraid: :hide: :ahhhhh:

Hahaha oh good lord

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Ah, you kids can't remember...
    Youth of today!!! *grumblegrumble* :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Why did it go away?
    Primarily because it was used to mob and bully anyone who didn;t express the recieved wisdom of the moment ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    :toofunny:

Maybe it we're thinking of the same post, but maybe it acquired more after I stopped looking (I was talking about an ISA post too :ninja: )
    I'm sure ISA made a post once that got near or just over 1000 neg reps :rofl:

Jesus ****ing christ I forgot about her. I had an old TSR account years ago when negs and ISA existed, died and then came back recently reincarnated as Snape What happened to ISA, does anyone know? Did she get into Oxbridge? Did she get some self esteem??

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.