Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it true you used to be able to downvote posts on TSR?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I forget the exact content but it translated to some kinda "HOW DARE YOU NOT (WANT TO) GO TO OXBRIDGE, YOU ARE **** ON MY SHOE, GET OUT". The user in question was a massive prestige whore. At least, up until they failed to gain admission to Oxbridge :ninja:
    It wasn't even that bad! There was no real offensiveness just standard ISA melodrama. Although I will admit she/he (even that was a debate) was a terrible prestige whore. The user actually ended up taking ISAs much maligned advice and firming the Oxbridge uni.*

*I was once the owner of 4 red gems due to a thread about overpopulation which I myself entirely misunderstood. I was about 14. I am now 22 and my opinions have changed dramatically but I did find that once you had the red gems they could be hard to shirk because you'd get pretty random negative reps.

My most reputable post ever was just something really funny on the first page of a chat thread that really took off. I gained about 700 rep for being entertaining rather than of any real help. The green bar was rarely a sign of helpfulness but usually popularity of opinion/entertainment value. The length of it was really about post frequency. The same applied with the length of the red bar. The red bar itself was a sign of either unpopular opinions or trolling which in the case of trolls made it somewhat useful but because of its potential to stifle unpopular opinions it was removed.*

It is a stance that I can absolutely understand but I do feel that TSR has become Stormfrontier in its absence. With my current political leanings I think this is the only negative but if I was in the minority right wing view for TSRs age demographic I'm sure I'd be happy that I could debate with people without having my opinions instantly dismissed because of my reputation bar. Instead people have to debate on substance and I do think incessant cries of 'troll' have reduced in substantive debates and discussions.*

Correction: apparently I was 16 when I made that thread, 16 and still something of a moron*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I was once the owner of 4 red gems due to a thread about overpopulation which I myself entirely misunderstood. I was about 14. I am now 22 and my opinions have changed dramatically but I did find that once you had the red gems they could be hard to shirk because you'd get pretty random negative reps.
    You talk like bad rep/downvotes are something bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    You talk like bad rep/downvotes are something bad!
    I didn't have your name recognition so me and my -4 were easier to dismiss than your -9? at peak and well known reputation for being a full time contrarian. So they were worse for me than you because you regularly and intentionally tangled with the big guns on the other side. You enjoyed it. I got caught up pretty much by accident and had no idea how to navigate the firestorm I had created. I basically got shouted at by people who were older and cleverer than me. I'm sure it affected my post content for some time afterwards. Now I only rarely dabble outside of about 2 threads so reputation makes little difference to me.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Was this a thing?

Were there like two tracks of rep- a thumbs up one and a thumbs down one?
    Yes, it was the same on YouTube too.

Once a comment fell below -5 rating it would be removed

ReputationRep:
    You could neg rep until it was decided that people who don't actually use the site thought that it might stop it from being a safe space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I didn't have your name recognition so me and my -4 were easier to dismiss than your -9? at peak and well known reputation for being a full time contrarian. So they were worse for me than you because you regularly and intentionally tangled with the big guns on the other side. You enjoyed it. I got caught up pretty much by accident and had no idea how to navigate the firestorm I had created. I basically got shouted at by people who were older and cleverer than me. I'm sure it affected my post content for some time afterwards. Now I only rarely dabble outside of about 2 threads so reputation makes little difference to me.*
    Fair enough. I did join TSR well into my 20s and was older and cleverer than most of the people I messed with (still am, haha), so I had a difference perspective on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    :wavey:
    :shock:

I'd rep you but I don't want to take away your redders

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    :shock:

I'd rep you but I don't want to take away your redders
    yep... no greenery for Phil :teehee:*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Yes, ah those were the days :moon:

I've been on this site way too long...damn it!
    Dammmn bruh you old

ReputationRep:
    Was this a thing?

Yes I had many red gems, and was proud, but now I'm reformed and have green ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why did it go away?
    For terrible reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Was this a thing?

Ah yes, 'negging'. I miss it, back in the days before TSR became a safe space :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I think because people kept abusing it. Pretty sure it caused arguments too because you could see who gave you the negative rep.
    WELL. In the good ol' days, you couldn't see who repped (or negged) you unless you were either a subscriber, or the person that left you the rep also commented their name.

It wasn't uncommon for people to have lists on their signatures of people they were going to 'pos' and 'neg'.

But if you were allowed in the hyper secret super subscriber's back room forum and got negged, well, you called in a few 'favours' and the poor unfortunate soul who dared to try and make you lose some rep would be negged by people with yellow and multicoloured gems. Straight to red.

Then they changed it because this was 'bullying'. Pish.

It kept H&R and D&D in pretty good self-mod mode, apart from the odd flaming rant about the usual topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    It kept H&R and D&D in pretty good self-mod mode, apart from the odd flaming rant about the usual topics.
    Also, in the advice forums, it was useful for people to be able to see at a glance that advice, possibly featured prominently on the first page, might be suspect/ get a quick sense of the general consensus about it.

They should have kept it in at least some form there (pos or neg on individual posts even if it didn't affect your overall rep score).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    Jesus ****ing christ I forgot about her. I had an old TSR account years ago when negs and ISA existed, died and then came back recently reincarnated as Snape What happened to ISA, does anyone know? Did she get into Oxbridge? Did she get some self esteem??
    She didn't go to Oxbridge but I heard she went into some red brick uni.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.