The Student Room Group

AS Psychology

Hi guys, I am doing AS Psychology this year in year 12 and I have been given the official AQA textbook for my exams by my schools. I was wondering if that is enough to get an A grade or should I buy any other revision guides?:redface: Help will be very much appreciated. I searched for good revision guides and I found Loopa so I don't know if I should buy it! Has anyone used it and if you did was it good?:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that textbook would be enough to get the A grade, its really helpful and detailed.
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
I think that textbook would be enough to get the A grade, its really helpful and detailed.

Thank you, I have ordered the CGP guide too just in case:smile:
Hey!

I also do AQA Psychology and we was recommended to but the Psychology Year 1 which includes AS: Students Companion text book.(It's the one with the cat walking across the books on the front cover) Personally I would also recommend this as all textbooks have something others do not but that's the one we have t use at our school.... hope this helps :wink:
Be aware that the cgp book includes information not relevant to any particular exam board.
Original post by starstudent7
Hi guys, I am doing AS Psychology this year in year 12 and I have been given the official AQA textbook for my exams by my schools. I was wondering if that is enough to get an A grade or should I buy any other revision guides?:redface: Help will be very much appreciated. I searched for good revision guides and I found Loopa so I don't know if I should buy it! Has anyone used it and if you did was it good?:smile:

A lot of people use Loopa for psychology notes, the actual guy who founded Loopa posts on tsr during exam season as well as on his website for predictions on what's in the exam.
Never actually used his text book or relied on his predictions, but i've heard he's pretty spot on at times.

I suggest using the AQA textbook the most- even though I never used it and used my teacher's notes instead.
AQA text book is good but the layout is weird, depends if you learn better with that layout though.

Hey is psychology hard and is there a lot of content?:h:
Original post by IRoranth
A lot of people use Loopa for psychology notes, the actual guy who founded Loopa posts on tsr during exam season as well as on his website for predictions on what's in the exam.
Never actually used his text book or relied on his predictions, but i've heard he's pretty spot on at times.

I suggest using the AQA textbook the most- even though I never used it and used my teacher's notes instead.
AQA text book is good but the layout is weird, depends if you learn better with that layout though.

Oh ok thank you:smile: I will see if I should buy Loopa or not later into the course:redface: Yeah I will use the textbook, teacher's notes,past papers and my CGP revision guide:h: If you don't mind what did you end up getting in the subject? I really want an A:biggrin:
Original post by sunshine774
Hey is psychology hard and is there a lot of content?:h:

Psychology is a very interesting subject and there is a lot of content, but nothing too hard you can't manage. I just started year 12 so I am not very familiar with the content but its manageable for me:h: I am revising at home too so it should help:smile:
Oh ok thank you:smile: I will see if I should buy Loopa or not later into the course:redface: Yeah I will use the textbook, teacher's notes,past papers and my CGP revision guide:h: If you don't mind what did you end up getting in the subject? I really want an A:biggrin:

Unfortunately, I ended up getting a B. Which really surprised me, especially since my whole class and I left the exam hall running because of how easy it was. I'm two marks away to an A, so gonna beg my school to predict me one.

=) Good luck!
Unfortunately, I ended up getting a B. Which really surprised me, especially since my whole class and I left the exam hall running because of how easy it was. I'm two marks away to an A, so gonna beg my school to predict me one.

=) Good luck!

Oh ok that's still brilliant though and thanks:smile: Good luck!:wink:

Hey, I have ordered the CGP book but please may you post the link of the official AQA textbook as I haven't heard of this!

=) Good luck!

Hi, it would be much appreciated if you could give me some tips/advice on how to well.
Original post by FNugent
Hi, it would be much appreciated if you could give me some tips/advice on how to well.

- Make sure you make notes on everything from the start of your lesson.
- Don't bother learning TOO many studies for evaluation points as evidence to support- maybe just one or two for each bit you learn.
- Do well in topic tests, these are really important, as if your school is like mine, they'll use these grades for your prediction.
- Answer the question properly, i.e. if a question asks "In this study" MAKE SURE YOU APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE to what that question asks-this is VERY important to get your marks up!
-Plan any essay before you start and ensure you have a good structure/use key words to again, increase your marking points.

If you need any other help, I'm happy to give you any!

Good luck

=D
- Make sure you make notes on everything from the start of your lesson.
- Don't bother learning TOO many studies for evaluation points as evidence to support- maybe just one or two for each bit you learn.
- Do well in topic tests, these are really important, as if your school is like mine, they'll use these grades for your prediction.
- Answer the question properly, i.e. if a question asks "In this study" MAKE SURE YOU APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE to what that question asks-this is VERY important to get your marks up!
-Plan any essay before you start and ensure you have a good structure/use key words to again, increase your marking points.

If you need any other help, I'm happy to give you any!

Good luck

=D

Thank you! Did you start revising early on and how many hours a day/week did you do?
Original post by FNugent
Thank you! Did you start revising early on and how many hours a day/week did you do?

I revised for topic tests, but definitely not as much as I did 2 months before the exam. I really recommend you revise earlier or at least listen in class so that later on it isn't as hard to remember information. Do about 1hour20mins each day for each of your subjects, but don't make a routine that's too rigid- you'll get bored quickly and not want to revise.
Original post by Misunderstood_08
Hey, I have ordered the CGP book but please may you post the link of the official AQA textbook as I haven't heard of this!

Here you go:smile: I got given the book for free by my school:h:https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Psychology-Level-Year-AS/dp/190868240X
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Be aware that the cgp book includes information not relevant to any particular exam board.

Really what do you mean, mine says it's for the AQA spec:confused:
Really what do you mean, mine says it's for the AQA spec:confused:

Sounds like cgp have got some new books. The old ones used to be more generic and not necessarily syllabus specific. In which case, ignore my previous comments. If the guide is for *AQA and you're taking AQA then all is well :smile:*
Here you go:smile: I got given the book for free by my school:h:https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Psychology-Level-Year-AS/dp/190868240X

Thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending