The Student Room Group

Why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole

my teacher was like everything on the periodic table is one mole

I know that 1mol=6.02x10^23 atoms/molecules/whatever

but why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole. and why is it compared carbon-12

the thing im really confused me is: if 1 ATOM of an element is 1 mole, does it mean that there are 6.03x10^23 something making up that 1 ATOM of that element.

I also know some atoms are made up isotopes, but some are made of 1 isotope
Reply 1
Original post by Frank Peters

That statement makes no sense

That's right.

why is it compared carbon-12

Convention. We used to compare everything to O-16. C-12 does have very typical binding energy per nucleon though (if you do physics you will come across this, if not don't worry about it).

We do this comparison because it means that if you take a sample of an element that is its relative atomic mass in grams, you have one mole of the element. The unit of moles only exists because it makes calculations easier.

the thing im really confused me is: if 1 ATOM of an element is 1 mole, does it mean that there are 6.03x10^23 something making up that 1 ATOM of that element.

An atom is the smallest unit of any element. There are 6.02*1023 atoms in one mole of an element
Reply 2
I think what she means by '1 mole' is that if you take the relative atomic mass of each element in the table and turn it into grams (let's say 23 grams of sodium) then that mass contains 1mol of the element.
Original post by alow
That statement makes no sense

That's right.

Convention. We used to compare everything to O-16. C-12 does have very typical binding energy per nucleon though (if you do physics you will come across this, if not don't worry about it).

We do this comparison because it means that if you take a sample of an element that is its relative atomic mass in grams, you have one mole of the element. The unit of moles only exists because it makes calculations easier.

An atom is the smallest unit of any element. There are 6.02*1023 atoms in one mole of an element

When you say an atom is the smallest unit of that element, how many atoms are there in an element?
Reply 4
When you say an atom is the smallest unit of that element, how many atoms are there in an element?

That question doesn't make sense. A specific element is an atom with a specific number of protons in the nucleus.

An atom is this nucleus along with an equal number of electrons as protons (i.e. it is uncharged).

Are you doing A Level chemistry?

but why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole. and why is it compared carbon-12

I also know some atoms are made up isotopes, but some are made of 1 isotope

Because Avogadro was a sound guy.

He was so obsessed with moles that his wife left him.
Original post by alow
That question doesn't make sense. A specific element is an atom with a specific number of protons in the nucleus.

An atom is this nucleus along with an equal number of electrons as protons (i.e. it is uncharged).

Are you doing A Level chemistry?

yes I am doing a-level chem
Reply 7
yes I am doing a-level chem

Do you understand what an element is?
Original post by alow
Do you understand what an element is?

What I know:

Its made of 1 particular atom. That atom may have isotopes so that element may have a relative atomic mass
Reply 9
What I know:

Its made of 1 particular atom. That atom may have isotopes so that element may have a relative atomic mass

But what is an element?
Original post by alow
but what is an element?

well i dont know
Reply 11
well i dont know

http://bfy.tw/7nc8

well i dont know

Quick Reply

Latest