Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    my teacher was like everything on the periodic table is one mole

I know that 1mol=6.02x10^23 atoms/molecules/whatever

but why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole. and why is it compared carbon-12

the thing im really confused me is: if 1 ATOM of an element is 1 mole, does it mean that there are 6.03x10^23 something making up that 1 ATOM of that element.

I also know some atoms are made up isotopes, but some are made of 1 isotope

(Original post by Frank Peters)
    That statement makes no sense

That's right.

why is it compared carbon-12
    Convention. We used to compare everything to O-16. C-12 does have very typical binding energy per nucleon though (if you do physics you will come across this, if not don't worry about it).

We do this comparison because it means that if you take a sample of an element that is its relative atomic mass in grams, you have one mole of the element. The unit of moles only exists because it makes calculations easier.

the thing im really confused me is: if 1 ATOM of an element is 1 mole, does it mean that there are 6.03x10^23 something making up that 1 ATOM of that element.
    An atom is the smallest unit of any element. There are 6.02*1023 atoms in one mole of an element

ReputationRep:
    I think what she means by '1 mole' is that if you take the relative atomic mass of each element in the table and turn it into grams (let's say 23 grams of sodium) then that mass contains 1mol of the element.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    That statement makes no sense

That's right.

Convention. We used to compare everything to O-16. C-12 does have very typical binding energy per nucleon though (if you do physics you will come across this, if not don't worry about it).

We do this comparison because it means that if you take a sample of an element that is its relative atomic mass in grams, you have one mole of the element. The unit of moles only exists because it makes calculations easier.

An atom is the smallest unit of any element. There are 6.02*1023 atoms in one mole of an element

When you say an atom is the smallest unit of that element, how many atoms are there in an element?

When you say an atom is the smallest unit of that element, how many atoms are there in an element?
    That question doesn't make sense. A specific element is an atom with a specific number of protons in the nucleus.

An atom is this nucleus along with an equal number of electrons as protons (i.e. it is uncharged).

Are you doing A Level chemistry?

ReputationRep:

but why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole. and why is it compared carbon-12

I also know some atoms are made up isotopes, but some are made of 1 isotope
    Because Avogadro was a sound guy.

He was so obsessed with moles that his wife left him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    That question doesn't make sense. A specific element is an atom with a specific number of protons in the nucleus.

An atom is this nucleus along with an equal number of electrons as protons (i.e. it is uncharged).

Are you doing A Level chemistry?
    yes I am doing a-level chem

yes I am doing a-level chem
    Do you understand what an element is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Do you understand what an element is?
    What I know:

Its made of 1 particular atom. That atom may have isotopes so that element may have a relative atomic mass

What I know:

Its made of 1 particular atom. That atom may have isotopes so that element may have a relative atomic mass
    But what is an element?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    but what is an element?
    well i dont know

well i dont know
    http://bfy.tw/7nc8

ReputationRep:
    well i dont know

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.