Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Russell Groups with Access

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    So, is it /really/ possible to get into a russell group with an access course?
    Acccess courses are graded on UCAS points now too, so I suppose that helps. I was just thinking that surely someone with A levels would have an upper hand of getting in. I'd just like people's honest opinions.

(I don't want to apply to anywhere too fancy, just the usual uni ofs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imherpacifier)
    Acccess courses are graded on UCAS points now too, so I suppose that helps. I was just thinking that surely someone with A levels would have an upper hand of getting in. I'd just like people's honest opinions.

I got an offer for Newcastle(ended up choosing Leicester instead). Someone else off my course is going to Leeds and others got offered foundation years at Manchester and Sheffield.

That was for CompSci(STEM is a bit more restrictive) but for non-STEM you can go pretty much anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few friends studying STEM subjects at Liverpool who all got on through access courses from different colleges. They welcome matures students with access as they know that A levels are not a viable option for most.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh and Glasgow accept access courses.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is, with a few exceptions (for example UCL is a bit sniffy about them). I got 4 out of 4 offers (if I remember correctly Durham, Newcastle, Nottingham, York), although I did have good A levels from a few years ago. Most people on my access course who seemed relatively competent and applied to Russell group unis got at least one offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imherpacifier)

I study speech and language therapy at Newcastle which is the best university in the country for the course. Me and another girl both did the same part-time access course (just the human biology unit). Someone else did the full access course. For me and the other girl the access course was the only option as we both worked and retaking A levels was not feasible. Access courses are a godsend for mature students. Everyone in my human biology class was applying to become a health professional.

ReputationRep:
    Different universities accept different access courses, sometimes in combination with other things. Russel status is not relevant.

ReputationRep:
    My mum studied PPE at the University of Manchester with an English GCSE equivalent rather than an actual GCSE, she also did Access to HE (no English module), she also got her offer before she got her level 2 Maths (not GCSE). Anything's possible, I suppose.

However, my mum was 38 by the time she started university, with a vast amount of life experience and got mostly distinctions.

I'm applying to Manchester and Cambridge, and I'm studying Access to HE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Of course it is, with a few exceptions (for example UCL is a bit sniffy about them). I got 4 out of 4 offers (if I remember correctly Durham, Newcastle, Nottingham, York), although I did have good A levels from a few years ago. Most people on my access course who seemed relatively competent and applied to Russell group unis got at least one offer.
    How does Access compare to A levels? Is access easier?

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's dont accept access in the profession i'm following, including Aston and A Ruskin.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.