Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just been rejected for my dream job.

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I got the call today to say that although my answers showed detail they did not evidence competence as well as other candidates and the competition was tough.

The reality is, I'm usually great at interviews. I've never had an interview I didn't get. But because I am no strong painkiller for a badly injured knee I was feeling dizzy and couldn't concentrate. I was also nervous. I wish I'd come off them now for the interview but I didn't realise I would feel this way as normally I dont. I think it was the nerves and stress that caused it too.

I'm truly gutted now as I know I can do so much better. It was for a job as a social worker and there were a number of vacancies up for grabs at the came department. One interviewer seemed to quite like me but the other was very unimpressed.

I feel now that since I really really want to work at this place and I know I have the necessary experience, whether there is anything I can do to give a slightly better lasting impression. I know there's a large drop out rate in social work and I am sure more vacancies will come up.

The women phoned me to say if I want feedback to ring me or the other hiring manager or email. I thanked her on the phone, said I understood the decision and agreed I had no performed to. My best and just said thank you and that was the end of the conversation.

I'm wondering if there's a way I can show that this is a place I truly want to work and my performance at the interview was not my normal standard. I'm also just qualified so not as much would be expected of me.

Get the feedback- stay in touch- get better experience- reapply.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stay in touch exactly but need to ask for feedback in a way that shows I could have done better. I'm stuck as to what to say.

ReputationRep:
    Watch this.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask for feedback. You can say 'yes I agree I underperformed' but I think trying to explain you were on medication etc might just look like making excuses and it's too late to change things, it would be better to accept it and try again next time, they're unlikely to recall you unfavourably

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.