The Student Room Group

Would Further Maths and Maths at A Level help you significantly at engineering in uni

My question really is asking, is doing doing Further Maths + Maths at A Level significantly helpful as opposed to doing Maths A Level only for doing engineering at uni? (Physics is included of course)

Advice is always appreciated. I'm asking this because I really enjoyed Maths at AS and very regretful I didn't take Further Maths. (For the record I'm doing Maths, Physics and Economics)
Original post by ManLike007
My question really is asking, is doing doing Further Maths + Maths at A Level significantly helpful as opposed to doing Maths A Level only for doing engineering at uni? (Physics is included of course)

Advice is always appreciated. I'm asking this because I really enjoyed Maths at AS and very regretful I didn't take Further Maths. (For the record I'm doing Maths, Physics and Economics)

Hey!

Yes, doing Further Maths A-Level will not only look better on your application, but will also prepare you more for Engineering at university.
If anything, try to do at least AS-Level Further Maths.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by edothero
Hey!

Yes, doing Further Maths A-Level will not only look better on your application, but will also prepare you more for Engineering at university.
If anything, try to do at least AS-Level Further Maths.

Best of luck!

Is it because engineering is more maths than physics?
Is it because engineering is more maths than physics?

Well, I would argue that Physics is applied Mathematics.

In any case, at university level Engineering, you will be doing a lot of high level Maths. So Further Maths A-Level would prepare you that extra bit.
Reply 4
lolwat of course it will
Reply 5
Original post by edothero
Well, I would argue that Physics is applied Mathematics.

In any case, at university level Engineering, you will be doing a lot of high level Maths. So Further Maths A-Level would prepare you that extra bit.

One final question, do you think it would be necessary to repeat Year 12 just for Further Maths assuming I replace it with economics?

Do AS Further maths at least
One final question, do you think it would be necessary to repeat Year 12 just for Further Maths assuming I replace it with economics?

No don't do this, may make it harder for you to apply to strong unis if you repeat year 12. Take up further in year 13, you can even do the full further maths in year 13 that's what people at my school do
Reply 8
Original post by tcameron
No don't do this, may make it harder for you to apply to strong unis if you repeat year 12. Take up further in year 13, you can even do the full further maths in year 13 that's what people at my school do

Further Maths in a single year? Is that even possible? How many modules are there in total?
Further Maths in a single year? Is that even possible? How many modules are there in total?

I think it's 6, so same as Maths alone but it is possible, of course you haven't done the full A levels maths yet so it may be more work for you if you were to do full further maths as well
Original post by tcameron
Do AS Further maths at least

When you say to take AS Further maths at least, what do you mean by it? Do you mean to just independently study it even though it may not count towards anything? And you're talking specifically about FP1 right?
Reply 11

Yeah, of course it is... plenty of people do it.

Yes, it'll help as it'll mean you'll have already covered a chunk of the maths content that will be covered during the engineering maths modules.
Reply 13
Hi! I know a friend who decided to do Engineering, when she was only doing further maths. Even she would agree that doing Further Maths will not only look better in her uni app (although she was still able to apply with Maths and Physics instead of further maths) but it would have made things MUCH easier for her.
Reply 14
I think the answer is yes.
Further Pure and Mechanics modules in FM are really heavily involved in Engineering studies as it provides a solid foundation for the physics/maths knowledge that you need in university, not to mention that your uni application will look stronger with FM in it.

My advice would be continue doing A2 level Maths, Physics and Economics and pick up AS level Further Maths (Focus on FP and Mech modules, tell the teacher not to include Stats/Decision if possible) as a fourth subject in Year 13 if you can handle the workload.
Original post by ML8020
I think the answer is yes.
Further Pure and Mechanics modules in FM are really heavily involved in Engineering studies as it provides a solid foundation for the physics/maths knowledge that you need in university, not to mention that your uni application will look stronger with FM in it.

My advice would be continue doing A2 level Maths, Physics and Economics and pick up AS level Further Maths (Focus on FP and Mech modules, tell the teacher not to include Stats/Decision if possible) as a fourth subject in Year 13 if you can handle the workload.

Hey, I asked my school and said that they are able to offer AS Further Mathematics in Year 13. I called up a university and said that they require AAB full A Levels. Other universities were busy so I couldn't get a hold of them. Even though it may not count as a full A Level, is it worth still taking it or is it better to repeat Year 12 then Year 13 to have the full FM A Level? (I'm sorry but FM in a single year is too much for me to bear)

Top uni's tend to go ask by grades rather than UCAS points.
Hey, I asked my school and said that they are able to offer AS Further Mathematics in Year 13. I called up a university and said that they require AAB full A Levels. Other universities were busy so I couldn't get a hold of them. Even though it may not count as a full A Level, is it worth still taking it or is it better to repeat Year 12 then Year 13 to have the full FM A Level? (I'm sorry but FM in a single year is too much for me to bear)

AS Further Maths will be helpful in the sense that it will increase your chances of getting offers, so I believe it would be worth taking.

I don't think you should repeat Year 12, that just doesn't seem sensible to me. Assuming that you're now just starting year 13, why not have a go at applying this year? Best case scenario, you get an offer from a uni you'd want to attend, and you get to start your course next year. Worst case scenario, you end up not getting an offer from a uni you'd be satisfied with, or you miss your offer. If that happens, you can just repeat year 13 and possibly take A2 Further Maths as well, then reapply for the 2017-2018 cycle - which is exactly what you'd be doing if you repeated year 12 anyway.
Reply 17

Your AS Further Maths qualification cannot become part of your offer (as you said unis require full A Levels in an offer), however it can certainly increase your chance of getting an offer from unis and provide you a better foundation after you have gone into uni. That is also why you should keep doing A2 Maths, Physics and Economics in order to achieve AAB+ grades in three subjects to fulfil the offer from unis.

Don't repeat right now, stick with the plan of doing A2 Maths, Physics, Economics and AS Further Maths this year and apply for uni. You only consider repeating year 13 if you fail to get/achieve the offer from your desired uni afterwards.
(edited 7 years ago)
From what I've seen unless you want to apply for courses which require FM the answer is a resounding no. There's not a whole lot of relevant content which is covered in FM that isn't covered in just Maths and where there is you will almost certainly have forgotten it or not be advantaged by it by the time you get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending