sheffield uni is a top 20 ish uni in the uk, maybe higher in the times league tables, and a top 100 world university. you need AAB to go there.
Kings college London is ranked about the same as Sheffield uni, and you also need AAB to go there.
My argument is, why would students, especially international ones, decide to go to Sheffield uni instead of kings college, which is right in the centre of London, given that both unis have the same entry requirements?
I think Sheffield uni has been sliding down the league tables, and many other 'northern unis' for many years now because students prefer unis in the south. I don't think northern unis get the amount of funding they need to stay competitive because of this, simply because they are in the north, a place students think is rough.
Is this somewhat true, you think?
Sheffield is cheaper to live in compared to London and its well known for engineering and materials science.
There are very few courses for which I'd take KCL over Sheffield.
1) London is 25% more expensive for consumer products and maybe triple in rent
2) Sheffield is consistently one of the 10 happiest universities in the UK, KCL often mires around the last third of the tables
3) Sheffield is alot more studenty of a place
4) Sheffield is a great place to explore the rest of the UK from since it is in the heart of the country
5) Sheffield is much greener
6) Sheffield has a nicer city-campus
In terms of courses, I'd say KCL wins only when it comes to those that explicitly need one to be in London to find their dream career aka IB, Magic Circle etc
Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
Already a member?
Oops, something wasn't right
please check the following:
Not got an account?
Sign up now
© Copyright The Student Room 2016 all rights reserved
The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.
Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22
Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE