Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Vote Leave won a landslide vicotry

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    In hindsight I'm surprised we got 48%-

We've had twenty years of near constant negative coverage if the EU (often false - see boris getting sacked for it) by all the leading tabloids coupled with a global financial crisis, a refugee crisis, a crisis in trust in politics and to be fair some very talented politicians supporting leave whilst remain had uh, Nick Clegg and Osborne.

ReputationRep:
    I'll say it once and i'll only say it once:
    You can't barrage the Farage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Nonsense and I expected better from you. If people voted via referendum to abolish the NHS in similar circumstances he wouldn't sign up to it.
    I doubt he would. Unless he went all class war and lead some kind of organised working class based resistance to it or something he would probably step down and refuse to press the destroy NHS button and complain about it from the sidelines (like he has spent most of his career doing).

Unless your democracy means we all have to agree with what the majority vote for?

The NHS is overwhelming popular with the public however, they would not vote to get rid of it in a referendum (they may vote some fascistic stuff about denying the NHS to brown people or something). He is on the side of the direct democratic will anyway.

The EU isn't such a fundamental disagreement for him, you could have a left wing Britain outside the EU. I suspect Corbyn is much more at ease with brexit (or may well actually support it) than a load of others in the labour party since at least Corbyn has all the left wing reasons for not liking the EU. Being in the EU was pretty fundamental to the New Labour types. Going with the "making brexit work" is compatible with his beliefs in a way privatisation the whole NHS is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Corbyn doesn't want to overturn the result.
    Which doesn't change the fact that the ones who do also call themselves democrats, in fact one bunch wear the lie as a badge of pride

ReputationRep:
    In hindsight I'm surprised we got 48%-

We've had twenty years of near constant negative coverage if the EU (often false - see boris getting sacked for it) by all the leading tabloids coupled with a global financial crisis, a refugee crisis, a crisis in trust in politics and to be fair some very talented politicians supporting leave whilst remain had uh, Nick Clegg and Osborne.
    Ummm, by whom?

Even the remain campaigners knew they had lost early on because they simply followed the EU referendum formula: scare lie scare lie rather than actually making people try to see the EU as a good thing, and you were lucky that you got 48%, even though getting that much meant somebody had to be murdered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, by whom?
    My mistake, honestly done. He got fired for faking a quotes on donethibg unrelated by the tlTimes. But he has been noted for making stuff up as Europe editor by colleagues and a select committee .

even though getting that much meant somebody had to be murdered.
    Fair play you're a real nasty piece of work

ReputationRep:
    My mistake, honestly done. He got fired for faking a quotes on donethibg unrelated by the tlTimes. But he has been noted for making stuff up as Europe editor by colleagues and a select committee .

Fair play you're a real nasty piece of work
    So you deny Cox's murder helped remain significantly?

ReputationRep:
    I think it got largely forgotten come voting time imo. Which is pretty bad. I'd have more faith in my fellow countrymen if they saw that and it helped sway them to vote remain or adopt more pro refugee positions.

So... this was Cox's and Remain's fault? How about blaming the fascist thug who murdered a Labour MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    I'll say it once and i'll only say it once:
    You can't barrage the Farage!
    We can ignore him though and politely ask the Indians to re-constitute the Black Hole of Calcutta for him...
    So... this was Cox's fault? How about blaming the fascist thug who murdered a Labour MP.
    Not disagreeing persay but that man was an unstable whack job id surmise his political 'beliefs' and rationalisations should be treated with more than a large pinch of salt.
    The rage should squarely be levelled at the reprehensible, morally bankrupt petty vote grubbing worms we call our 'leaders' who tried to hijack said event to achieve their own personal aims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)

Not disagreeing persay but that man was an unstable whack job id surmise his political 'beliefs' and rationalisations should be treated with more than a large pinch of salt.
    Do you think the same about Islamist killers?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the same about Islamist killers?
    Indeed, muslims in general [this is of course just ones opinion] arent really an issue at all it's the young people who are converted to islam that on averege seem to be far more attrocious.
    Either way comparing, what i assume to be, the mass murderers of late who did it in the name of islam to a little mentally ill odd ball is somewhat off base...
    Either way i will reiterate i don't view ny of them as innocent, nor am i excusing their attrocities merely saying i believe them mostly to have serious mental or behavioral issues.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn accepts the result because it's what he voted for

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed. Boris Johnson in all likeliness voted to remain as well.
    I found May's stance rather intriguing. She came out as 'remain' although she seemed to want to get as far away from the debate as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any evidence that Cox's murder made any difference?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it made any difference personally. Polling beforehand suggested a ~5% lead for Leave (hence why i placed my bets) and while the shooting probably did make people think emotionally in polling (hence the bounce) i think that on the day people made the colder decision and voted for what they believed.

At best it may have cost 1-2% i suspect.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.