Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Could you ever get in trouble for expressing certain opinions at Cambridge?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a sinister and pernicious atmosphere of censorship that is very apparent in American universities and is beginning to linger in Britain.

Cambridge appears to be relatively tolerant of the extreme Left. For example, on a university page that lists all of the societies at Cambridge, there is a Marxist society and even a Communist society.

As far as right-wing societies go, there is only the Conservative Association and, as much as you may disagree with them, the Tories are relatively tame compared to Communists.

Do you think that the university would be as tolerant towards the far-Right as they are towards the far-Left? Would they allow a Nationalist society to exist? Or a European Identity society to exist? What about the right-wing equivalent to the Communist society; the Fascist society?

I suspect the answer is no and that there exists a double-standard because of the nature of student demographics and the fact that the student populace will undoubtedly skew left to a far greater degree relative to the average population.

Also, how would one be treated in Cambridge if you expressed views associated with the hard-Right? Would you be ostracized? Or, provided you could argue your position, would you be tolerated?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought a Marxist society was "extreme left". European Identity is hardly far Right.

Who knows whether a fascist party would be allowed to exist? A thought experiment is useless. You can either check their rules to see whether it's expressly prohibited and/or try to set one up and see whether its creation is opposed by faculty.

I'm not sure that Cambridge leans father left than other institutions however data is sorely lacking. I lack an opinion.

There wouldn't be a double standard if, because of a lack of student support, far right societies struggled to take off. It would infact be the same fair protocol for the formation of societies applied across the board.

ReputationRep:
    One of the top universities in the country with some of the brightest and hardest working students tolerates Communism but not Fascism.

One would think, being Cambridge material, you'd be able to infer something from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    I wouldn't have thought a Marxist society was "extreme left". European Identity is hardly far Right.

Who knows whether a fascist party would be allowed to exist? A thought experiment is useless. You can either check their rules to see whether it's expressly prohibited and/or try to set one up and see whether its creation is opposed by faculty.

I'm not sure that Cambridge leans father left than other institutions however data is sorely lacking. I lack an opinion.

There wouldn't be a double standard if, because of a lack of student support, far right societies struggled to take off. It would infact be the same fair protocol for the formation of societies applied across the board.
    Whilst a lot of Marxist thought it prevalent throughout modern Western society, the ideas of Marx are still to the left of mainstream left-wing politics. By "European Identity" I was referring to ethno-nationalism; so it undoubtedly would be considered quite hard-right.

I can't be bothered rummaging around for data at this time of night, either, but it's been empirically shown that academics lean overwhelmingly to the Left so I would suppose it's quite likely that that holds true for students, too.

I doubt a fascist society would get much support and I would never have much interest in founding one... but the Conservative Associations are always fairly popular so their may an appeal if one were to create a society which centered around conservative/nationalistic/traditionalist ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orbital_Rising)
    One of the top universities in the country with some of the brightest and hardest working students tolerates Communism but not Fascism.

One would think, being Cambridge material, you'd be able to infer something from that.
    That there is a higher prevalence of bourgeois bohemians at Cambridge than elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidHSmith)
    That there is a higher prevalence of bourgeois bohemians at Cambridge than elsewhere?
    Considering that the left operates to end class systems while the right reinforces them your idea of a left wing bourgeois conspiracy makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    The existence of several hard left groups might be more of an indication of the hard left's traditional inclination for near constant faction fighting and splitting than widespread support for communism... whereas the conservatives generally tend to keep their nutcases on the inside and wrestle amongst themselves for control of the steering wheel.

--edit--
    but yep I think fascism is probably still a toxic brand and you'd fall foul of some equality policies if you tried to launch a white peoples party.

ReputationRep:
    I do think that Cambridge leans overall to the left.

With regard to your overall question, I think Cambridge is a pretty tolerant place though: there's a range of v interesting speakers from a variety of political persuasions who come to the Union, for example, and whilst they might be "no-platformed" by some, they're seldom cancelled because they're not in line with majority thought.

Far-right groups are certainly in a minority, if they even exist at all: Cambridge's international character isn't really conducive to far-right thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.