The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If i were you, I'd apply anyway! You'd be far worse off not applying and then realising next march that you actually want to go to uni! At least if you apply you have an offer- either to take up and go to uni or to defer. You've nothing to lose by applying- except for maybe £15! :p:
Reply 2
I'd say 100% apply. If you apply for deferred entry then you have no stress on your gap year by applying. Even if you decline all your offers/ have a tough UCAS year then at the very least it will be good practise for the next time you apply. xxx
lol just apply for cambridge. it only cost a fiver.
seriously apply anyway because if you do not get a place, you can always try next year and if you get a place, then defer
Reply 4
Let's say you get offers from three different Unis through UCAS, but than you decide to go to School in hmm Sweden we'll assume :smile:, can you just reject all of them??
Just apply anyway. If you get offers and then decide you want to take a gap year, you'll more than likely be able to defer entry, but you've still got the option of going next year if you want to. If you don't get any offers you like, you change your mind about unis/courses or for some reason your unis won't let you defer, you can reapply in your gap year. It's win win really. Plus it'll be much easier applying with the full support of your school/college.
Reply 6
Yeah that's what I was thinking; at least I'll get a reference easily this year etc. still being in 6th form.

Thanks everyone :smile:
So are you going to apply for the vet med course this year or the other subject you were interested in?
Reply 8
<(+_+)>
So are you going to apply for the vet med course this year or the other subject you were interested in?

Well I would really like to apply to Notts for the gateway Vet Med course and 4 others for French or whatever. But I need at least 6 weeks work experience for the Vet Med which I obviously won't get by 15th October...I don't know whether there's any point applying for that this year. I'm still thinking about it. Otherwise I'll apply to 6 for French this year, and either go ahead with that at uni OR take a gap year, get a lot of work experience and apply for the Vet Med course a year later. But I don't know whether to take the chance seeing as there's only one course at one uni which I could do Vet Med at...
Reply 9
Does it have to be 6 full weeks of work experience?

There is still 3 weeks of summer left and then theres always weekends and evenings.
Have you thought about taking Chemistry this year as an AS, then you could do A2 in your gap year (which wouldn't take up too much of your time as you would only have one subject) and then you could apply to 4 universities.
Reply 11
kirstinx
Does it have to be 6 full weeks of work experience?

There is still 3 weeks of summer left and then theres always weekends and evenings.

Yep, has to be six :[

I've sent letters and stuff but it's looking pretty bleak. I already have one week from Year 11, but just that sounds pathetic. I could also try to get weekends and evenings I guess.
Reply 12
<(+_+)>
Have you thought about taking Chemistry this year as an AS, then you could do A2 in your gap year (which wouldn't take up too much of your time as you would only have one subject) and then you could apply to 4 universities.

I could do that, but I just don't really want to really. And I'd still need Maths/Physics as well wouldn't I?

What are you planning on doing?
As far as I know chemistry & biology are the only subjects you need for most of the vet schools. As long as you have good passes in maths & physics at GCSE your sorted.

I'm going to wait until I get some work experience at a vets (I have none, as rediculous (sp?) as it sounds) and from there I can decide to either apply to a different course this year or wait a year and apply to vet med.
Reply 14
I was going to take Chem for AS as well...but then changed my mind.

Yeah, doing work experience will def. help you decide if it's for you or not. I enjoyed mine so much that I don't even know why I changed career ideas for a while.

Do you think that I have a chance at Notts even without 6 weeks w/e? I know that it's a requirement, but I have really strong GCSE grades and will hopefully get good AS grades. And from my little amount of w/e I could exagerrate and say as much as I can about what I saw etc and why they should consider me. Is it even worth a shot..?

If you didn't apply to Vet Med, what would you apply for?
Probably something like chemistry or biochem. I prefer biology to chemistry but I got a D in bio and an A in chem for jan modules so obviously something has gone wrong lol.

You've got nothing to lose by applying for the course this time around. You've still got time to get another few weeks before school starts, as kirstinx said, to get more work experience. I honestly don't know how competitive the course is for the foundation year so I don't really know if you have a chance of getting in.
Reply 16
I'm not expecting to do too well in Bio lol...but I'm praying for a B all the same.

Apparently the gateway is as competitive as the normal course, maybe even more so. I hope I can get a few extra weeks worth in before applying to enhance my chances. I may as well try I guess...and hopefully I'll come across really well in the interview too (if they even offer me one that is).

But say I did quite a lot of w/e at one vets, how would the uni know if the vets exagerrated a bit and said I did like 4 weeks altogether with them instead of two or something? How do they really know?
Well think you have to fill in a form about the details of your work experience so they may actually ring up the vets and ask. =S

o0o0 you could give them the wrong number and then get someone to pretend to be the vet and tell them you did 4 weeks lol. (kidding obviously)
Reply 18
Oh right...lol.

Haha lol, imagine that :p:

I'm thinking now that I don't stand a chance...
You have good grades right? Aiming for AAAA at AS level. Then you have a really good chance of being accepted if you get the work experience sorted.

Latest

Trending

Trending