Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just gave all my personal details to a phishing site now what

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Yes I know this is entirely my fault. An email came through my university email claiming to be from the uni themselves, and to enter in my personal info so I could get a grant. Here's all the things some random kid across the world now has access to:

Full Name
    Date of birth
    Term time and Home time address
    Phone number, and phone provider
    Student ID number, and course name
    Personal Email address
    National Insurance number (Although luckily, I guessed it off the top of my head and got one digit wrong)
    Place of birth

And pretty much everything on my bank card. Card number, account number, sort code, expiry dates, the 3 digit code at the back.

After crying for a few hours realising how stupid I was, I've cancelled the card. But this mystery person will still have my home address, account number and sort code, what else should I do?

Contact your bank and explain what has happened. Tell your parents (or whoever you live with) as well just so they keep an eye out for anything unusual. I can't imagine these people would come to you house though! This is a pretty big scam going on at the moment so you aren't the only person who fell for it - I think they are just after your bank and personal details to steal money.

However, they may also be after your identity. I really recommend registering with CIFAS. This places a mark next to your name so anyone trying to open an account in your name will be checked throughly before the account can be opened. This won't have any effect if it is you, but should stop anyone pretending to be you from doing it. It can mean accounts you want to open take longer, but you know you'll be safe. This costs £20 if you from it on the website, however if you sign up to Experian (the credit check people, if you haven't registered you can have a 3 month free trial) you can do it for free there. I'd recommend signing up to Experian anyway because they can check what accounts are held under your name or use your details. You can also set up an alert to be told if anyone sets up an account in your name.

Hopefully you caught it early enough and everything will be fine, but keep an eye out on everything for a few months and you should be fine. I had my card details stolen (no idea how as I don't use online shopping, but I guess that's life!) and doing all of the above made me feel more comfortable. :hugs:

What a nuisance. *I'm not suprised you are upset. *It's not much *consolation but you won't be the only person to have fallen for this. :-(*

with just a sort code and account number, one can only put money into your account. But because he also has your address he can set up direct debit with your account by changing your address. He could even change your phone number. If your bank is decent they would only allow details to be changed by visiting a branch, as that is the only way to verify a genuine card holder.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.