Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Hull-York Medical School 2017 entry

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    could not find a thread for this year so I have decided to start one!
    PLEASE BE AWARE: Hull-York medical school are PBL. Make sure the course is right for you!!!
    Post your stats below and ask any questions you may have! I am hoping for current students to come along and answer.
    I have:
    7A* and 3A
    640 band 2 ukcat
    AAAB at AS (A's were in bio, chem and maths)
    A*A*A predictions

I am aware that I am a week applicant for HYMS but its worth the risk, I adore it!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    Hi everyone,
    could not find a thread for this year so I have decided to start one!
    PLEASE BE AWARE: Hull-York medical school are PBL. Make sure the course is right for you!!!
    Post your stats below and ask any questions you may have! I am hoping for current students to come along and answer.
    I have:
    7A* and 3A
    640 band 2 ukcat
    AAAB at AS (A's were in bio, chem and maths)
    A*A*A predictions

I am aware that I am a week applicant for HYMS but its worth the risk, I adore it!!!!!
    Glad to finally find HYMS thread. I'm pretty sure I'm applying as I think given the application process I should stand a fair chance (hopefully anyway). My stats are:

GCSE 9A* 1A
    AS AAAA (Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics)
    A-Level Prediction A*A*A (Bio, Chem and Maths)
    UKCAT 717 average Band 1 SJT
    (and relevant work experience and long term volunteering)

I think you definitely stand a strong chance for interview definitely! Where else are you looking at applying? Do you have a campus preference for HYMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elish2chambers)
    Glad to finally find HYMS thread. I'm pretty sure I'm applying as I think given the application process I should stand a fair chance (hopefully anyway). My stats are:

GCSE 9A* 1A
    AS AAAA (Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics)
    A-Level Prediction A*A*A (Bio, Chem and Maths)
    UKCAT 717 average Band 1 SJT
    (and relevant work experience and long term volunteering)

I think you definitely stand a strong chance for interview definitely! Where else are you looking at applying? Do you have a campus preference for HYMS?
    Your stats are amazing! Unfortunately I don't think my UKCAT average will cut it but I really liked it so I'm going to risk it, my predicted grades are also A*A*A! I think I would prefer York, but I would just be so happy to get in! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    7As 3Bs
    AABB
    A*A*A
    793Band 1

ReputationRep:
    Why is this in the category of 'University of Liverpool' btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    Why is this in the category of 'University of Liverpool' btw?
    Your UKCAT is amazing! I'm not sure, I tried to change it but I think the mods have to do it. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Your UKCAT is amazing! I'm not sure, I tried to change it but I think the mods have to do it. Sorry.
    No worries ahah and thanks, do you know how they're going to be scoring GCSEs this year and total score cut offs from previous years by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    No worries ahah and thanks, do you know how they're going to be scoring GCSEs this year and total score cut offs from previous years by any chance?
    Since full marks for top 8 GCSEs is 30 points I imagine it will be

A* 3.75
    A 3
    B 2.25
    C 1.5
    D 0.75
    E 0

Or at least it will be somewhere close to this (the increments could be 0.625 instead of 0.75 if an E grade is worth more than 0)

ReputationRep:
    Your stats are amazing! Unfortunately I don't think my UKCAT average will cut it but I really liked it so I'm going to risk it, my predicted grades are also A*A*A! I think I would prefer York, but I would just be so happy to get in! How about you?
    Thank you!! So are yours!! And don't worry think positive, I think the UKCAT average will be lower than usual this year anyway (a thief least I'm hoping)! And I'm the same I think I would prefer York but Hulls accommodation looks amazing!

Where else are you looking at applying?

ReputationRep:
    Since full marks for top 8 GCSEs is 30 points I imagine it will be

A* 3.75
    A 3
    B 2.25
    C 1.5
    D 0.75
    E 0

Or at least it will be somewhere close to this (the increments could be 0.625 instead of 0.75 if an E grade is worth more than 0)
    I see, thank you I wonder if 23.25 and probably full marks on UKCAT I'm guessing(can someone correct me if I'm wrong please) is enough... hope so.

ReputationRep:
    I see, thank you I wonder if 23.25 and probably full marks on UKCAT I'm guessing(can someone correct me if I'm wrong please) is enough... hope so.
    No worries and yeah I think you'll definitely score full on UKCAT! And then you've obviously got full marks on SJT so I think you're definitely a strong applicant! Where else are you looking at applying?

ReputationRep:
    I got 2A*s, 4As and 4B's at GCSE. AAA predicted grades for A levels. UKCAT score of 630. Is this good enough? If not what other schools would fit in with the results I have achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain.Y)
    I got 2A*s, 4As and 4B's at GCSE. AAA predicted grades for A levels. UKCAT score of 630. Is this good enough? If not what other schools would fit in with the results I have achieved?
    What band did you get in SJT? I think your stats put you in with a fair chance but it is a bit of a risk considering your top 8 GCSEs would include 2Bs, however your UKCAT is above average so this could help to drag you up.

You could possibly consider Leicester, UCLAN (it's slightly less competitive I think so you would stand a really strong chance) and maybe consider BMAT for Lancaster or Leeds?

ReputationRep:
    No worries and yeah I think you'll definitely score full on UKCAT! And then you've obviously got full marks on SJT so I think you're definitely a strong applicant! Where else are you looking at applying?
    Hope so . Barts, Manchester, Sheffield. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    What band did you get in SJT? I think your stats put you in with a fair chance but it is a bit of a risk considering your top 8 GCSEs would include 2Bs, however your UKCAT is above average so this could help to drag you up.

You could possibly consider Leicester, UCLAN (it's slightly less competitive I think so you would stand a really strong chance) and maybe consider BMAT for Lancaster or Leeds?
    Hey guys :-)

GCSEs: 8A*s 2As
    Predicted grades: AAA (although I don't think this is taken into account)
    UKCAT i.e. my let down :-( 630 average and Band 2

I am considering HYMS for my fourth choice but I guess I'm very borderline so any advice on should I take the risk?

Thanks and good luck everyone :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aRandomGuy)
    Hey guys :-)

GCSEs: 8A*s 2As
    Predicted grades: AAA (although I don't think this is taken into account)
    UKCAT i.e. my let down :-( 630 average and Band 2

I am considering HYMS for my fourth choice but I guess I'm very borderline so any advice on should I take the risk?

Thanks and good luck everyone :-)
    In my opinion, I think you are a very strong candidate. Your GCSEs mean that you would score full points on that section and your UKCAT is still above average so you score fairly on that and even though your SJT isn't the best it wouldn't severely harm your chances. I would give it a go because in the end all you need is to make it to interview to show why you deserve the place.

ReputationRep:
    Oh lovely choices for your stats, you'll definitely be a very strong applicant. I went to Sheffield's open day and loved it, but the only downside for me was the dodgy-ish part of the city you had to trek through to get to the accommodation- but I suppose that's a small price to pay for the top quality teaching.

Currently I think my option are Birmingham, Nottingham, Hull-York and Newcastle (but Newcastle is subject to change because I'm not sure a 717 UKCAT is high enough so I'm also considering Manchester/UEA).

ReputationRep:
    Oh lovely choices for your stats, you'll definitely be a very strong applicant. I went to Sheffield's open day and loved it, but the only downside for me was the dodgy-ish part of the city you had to trek through to get to the accommodation- but I suppose that's a small price to pay for the top quality teaching.

Currently I think my option are Birmingham, Nottingham, Hull-York and Newcastle (but Newcastle is subject to change because I'm not sure a 717 UKCAT is high enough so I'm also considering Manchester/UEA).
    Hopefully . Sheffield is the only open day out of the 4 that I haven't been able to go to unfortunately... Is it really dodgy? And nice, I reckon 717 is fine since the cut off last year was around 685

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully . Sheffield is the only open day out of the 4 that I haven't been able to go to unfortunately... Is it really dodgy? And nice, I reckon 717 is fine since the cut off last year was around 685
    The uni itself and the student union are really nice but the accommodation is about 20/25 minute walk from the campus and the area isn't unsafe or anything it's just really run down and quite a few shops were boarded up (but obviously this could have changed over the summer). They said the uni used to run a shuttle bus from the accommodation to the campus but they weren't putting it on this year so you'd have to walk or pay for public bus. But on the flip side the student union is really active and the nightlife seems good so I suppose it's just what you prioritise more in a uni. Personally I prefer a uni with accommodation close to the campus and a bit more of an aesthetically pleasing area if you catch my drift- but like I said it's totally up to you.

ReputationRep:
    The uni itself and the student union are really nice but the accommodation is about 20/25 minute walk from the campus and the area isn't unsafe or anything it's just really run down and quite a few shops were boarded up (but obviously this could have changed over the summer). They said the uni used to run a shuttle bus from the accommodation to the campus but they weren't putting it on this year so you'd have to walk or pay for public bus. But on the flip side the student union is really active and the nightlife seems good so I suppose it's just what you prioritise more in a uni. Personally I prefer a uni with accommodation close to the campus and a bit more of an aesthetically pleasing area if you catch my drift- but like I said it's totally up to you.
    Hmm, I see, fair enough thanks for telling me. It is my fourth choice anyway since it is traditional and I like the idea of PBL

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.