The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Can I get into Durham?

I really want to study English at Durham. I got 4 A*s, 4 As, 1 B and 1 C in my GCSEs and 3 As and 1 B at AS. Unfortunately because my school has not claimed some of my AS certificates I only have 2 As to put on my UCAS. I also have 3 As as my predicated grades and I am struggling to get one of my teachers to raise my predicted grade to an A*, even though two of my As are in above 90% region. (But UCAS do not receive percentages of my grades). So with my GCSEs, 2 As at AS level to write on my UCAS and 3 As as my predicted grades for A levels, can I realistically get into Durham? Will it be a hinderince to my application if I don't have an A* in my predicted grades?
If you can meet the entry requirements you will be fine. Do you need the A* or is A the requirement?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I think I'm right in thinking that English at Durham requires A*AA? So you will ideally need that as your predicted grades. If the teacher is refusing to give you the A* prediction even though you got over 90%, it's maybe a good idea to talk to a careers adviser or sixth form leader (or whoever's in charge of UCAS applications at your sixth form/college). In my experience those that are sorting out UCAS understand the importance of predicted grades, and may be able to persuade your teachers to change them if necessary. I know with me, I achieved 98% in one of my AS Levels but the teacher still predicted me an A... Then I spoke to the UCAS person at my school and they changed it to an A*. My course at Durham (Modern Languages) required AAA but the prediction they sent off was A*AA (which I ended up achieving).

Also, I know UCAS don't receive the percentages of your grades/marks, but the teacher writing my reference put them in there, highlighting how 90%+ in 2 subjects (like you) was a big achievement. So if you know who will write your reference, talk to them about including those kinds of academic achievements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending