Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can I get into Durham?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study English at Durham. I got 4 A*s, 4 As, 1 B and 1 C in my GCSEs and 3 As and 1 B at AS. Unfortunately because my school has not claimed some of my AS certificates I only have 2 As to put on my UCAS. I also have 3 As as my predicated grades and I am struggling to get one of my teachers to raise my predicted grade to an A*, even though two of my As are in above 90% region. (But UCAS do not receive percentages of my grades). So with my GCSEs, 2 As at AS level to write on my UCAS and 3 As as my predicted grades for A levels, can I realistically get into Durham? Will it be a hinderince to my application if I don't have an A* in my predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    If you can meet the entry requirements you will be fine. Do you need the A* or is A the requirement?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm right in thinking that English at Durham requires A*AA? So you will ideally need that as your predicted grades. If the teacher is refusing to give you the A* prediction even though you got over 90%, it's maybe a good idea to talk to a careers adviser or sixth form leader (or whoever's in charge of UCAS applications at your sixth form/college). In my experience those that are sorting out UCAS understand the importance of predicted grades, and may be able to persuade your teachers to change them if necessary. I know with me, I achieved 98% in one of my AS Levels but the teacher still predicted me an A... Then I spoke to the UCAS person at my school and they changed it to an A*. My course at Durham (Modern Languages) required AAA but the prediction they sent off was A*AA (which I ended up achieving).

Also, I know UCAS don't receive the percentages of your grades/marks, but the teacher writing my reference put them in there, highlighting how 90%+ in 2 subjects (like you) was a big achievement. So if you know who will write your reference, talk to them about including those kinds of academic achievements.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.