Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!!

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Okay recently I was pulled over for having no insurance on my car (but to my knowledge I was). After doing some checks my insurance had actually been canceled just over a month ago. I was told I would get a fixed penalty and 6 points. But because I haven't been driving for over 2 years my license will be revoked as it has reached its maximum points. The police are saying that I have to go to the courts and let a judge hear my case , but I want to know is can I not just get my license sent away , revoked without involving the courts.

ReputationRep:
    If either you or the police want to take a case to court, then I don't think you can get out of it. I imagine you'll probably just get a straightforward magistrate's court hearing and lose your license then.

They might want to ask if you knew that your insurance was canceled, or if you have any mitigating circumstances, though, so that could be the reason for the court's involvement.

You might not even get asked to turn up in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jh1997)
    Okay recently I was pulled over for having no insurance on my car (but to my knowledge I was). After doing some checks my insurance had actually been canceled just over a month ago. I was told I would get a fixed penalty and 6 points. But because I haven't been driving for over 2 years my license will be revoked as it has reached its maximum points. The police are saying that I have to go to the courts and let a judge hear my case , but I want to know is can I not just get my license sent away , revoked without involving the courts.
    You must have known your policy was cancelled, lying will only make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sek510i)
    If either you or the police want to take a case to court, then I don't think you can get out of it. I imagine you'll probably just get a straightforward magistrate's court hearing and lose your license then.

They might want to ask if you knew that your insurance was canceled, or if you have any mitigating circumstances, though, so that could be the reason for the court's involvement.

You might not even get asked to turn up in person.
    Agreed.

If you attend the court hearing and plead guilty but explain your mitigating circumstances (if there are any, I.e. not knowing it was cancelled + proof) you may get say 5 points and not lose it. A friend recently went through this and only got 4 points, although he got a £600ish fine.

Saying that, I'm not sure how you couldn't have known it was cancelled - insurance companies normally send emails and letters before cancelling. If it was, say, a missed payment or direct debit, you won't get out of it.

It can happen (happened recently to someone else I know) that when changing banks a direct debit doesn't get transferred over properly. She missed a payment on her PCP, which was resolved with no fuss 6 weeks later when they informed her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.