Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is economics a possibility with these subject options?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I recently have had a change of heart in terms of my career options and I now want to pursue econs at university. I have done some wider reading but the issue I have now is that my subjects aren't really that orientated towards economics (Math, physics and chemistry). Will universities be put off by this?

ReputationRep:
    Was Economics an option at your school? If yeah then unis might question why you didn't pick it, but if not then those options are absolutely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for me, it was an option. Would it still be worthwhile applying, or would I be at too big of a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    You can apply but you'll need to have some basic economics knowledge to write in your personal statement. Make sure you've read books like the Undercover Economist or other books in order to give yourself some basic knowledge of macro and microeconomics. Also, perhaps write about which aspect of economics interests you- microeconomics, macroeconomics, behavioural economics, econometrics, development economics, economic policy?

Pretty much every university will accept you without economics A-Level as long as you have good predicted grades and a good personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lobsterknowspeed)
    Unfortunately for me, it was an option. Would it still be worthwhile applying, or would I be at too big of a disadvantage?
    Still worth applying yeah, although if there's is an interview you may have to justify why you didn't choose it. It will put you at a disadvantage, how much so I am not sure, although I'm sure someone older than myself (I've just started year 13) will expand on what I've said

ReputationRep:
    Economics A Level is a pile of crap anyway, I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure you've done your background reading and you're willing and ready to discuss ideas, as well as being able to capably justify your decision (in your PS).

ReputationRep:
    Will do! Thank you so much everyone!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.