Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Homesickness at university - a guide!

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of these threads floating around in the past few days, and I'm sure that there have been stickied threads in the past about dealing with homesickness. So I thought I'd make a quick guide to dealing with homesickness that people can add to, as they see fit. *

First of all, homesickness is completely natural. For most people, it will be the first time that they've been away from their parental home and its comforts. Even for those who can't wait to start university, leaving the familiarity of home, its routines, places, people and even pets can be really daunting.*

So advice #1 - You're absolutely, 100%, you-can-slap-my-arse-if-I'm-not-right, not the only person who is feeling homesick. People just have different ways of masking and dealing with it. I missed my dog terribly when I started university. I thought I was the only one who pined after their pet, until I chatted with my flatmate and discovered that she was moping after her family cat (which, incidentally, used to scratch her to pieces. You can end up missing the weirdest of things).*

Advice #2 is to manage expectations. Don't be starting uni with a sad Susan attitude, but remember that those who tell you that uni will be the best experience of your life are those who have battled through the tough times and are most likely looking at it with misty eyes and rosy specs. The first few weeks of uni can be a massive anticlimax: you'll have to sort out admin things, the price of cheese is extortionate, you're starting a course with a completely different structure and difficulty that what you've been used to. It's OK if the first weeks feel a bit crap and require an exorbitant level of adultness. You're just starting out. Give yourself time.

Advice #3: If you didn't make it to the end of #2, I'll say it again: give it time.. Don't make any rash decisions after a week, even two weeks. I'm going to go out on a limb and ask you to stick it out for a term. Deciding whether to drop out or not is a really big decision, and when you're tired, emotional, drunk, and tired of living on beans on toast, you don't tend to make good decisions.

If you're feeling consumed by homesickness, my most valuable piece of advice would be to simply get out there. Most universities have a plethora of societies to get involved in: once you establish a sense of belonging, whether it's to a sports team or the chocolate society, you'll start to put down new roots. This doesn't just happen straight away - it might take a few weeks. Just breathe and sit tight. It's hard when you're not feeling 100%, I know, and being sociable when you just want to be at home is so difficult. But just remember: everyone's got an equal stake in this. Everybody wants to make friends and make this experience worth it. Cooping yourself up in your room like a chicken will only give you too much time with your thoughts, so do try and get out and chatting to people to distract yourself.*

Ultimately, you're at uni to get a degree, and that's easily forgotten in the first term. And no matter how crap you feel - keep going to lectures, supervisions, seminars, labs, etc. You'll only feel worse if you get behind because you've missed them all. And if you're finding the academic side of things difficult, speak to your course convenor, supervisor, academic tutor, and of course, your fellow students. Start a study group to kill two birds with one stone: you'll be staying on top of work and making new acquaintances!
    If this isn't helping, and you've given it some more time, try talking to a counsellor, welfare officer or chaplain. I can guarantee you that they've seen and heard it all before. Experience is wisdom, and they've likely seen lots of tired, sad and stressed students at their doors. They've probably seen most of them go on to do just fine.

If your mental health is beginning to deteriorate rapidly, and your mood is permanently low, you self-harm, have feelings of suicidality and/or worthlessness: see a GP, do call a helpline or speak to a nurse. *

Lots of people are in two minds about keeping up links with home: some say that ringing home will make you even more homesick, others say that not calling at all makes you more isolated. I think there's a happy medium. For Freshers Week, and even the week after, check in with your parents via text. Let them know you're OK - they're probably pining after you too, you know. But don't get caught up in super-long, sad and mopey conversations: your aim is to get out there and establish your roots to your new home. Of course, if your calls are long and happy, with you gushing about how much you love university and your new mates, 100% go for it!

Feel free to add things if you feel that you've got any other tips. In the meantime, look at this cute little guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    I've seen a lot of these threads floating around in the past few days, and I'm sure that there have been stickied threads in the past about dealing with homesickness. So I thought I'd make a quick guide to dealing with homesickness that people can add to, as they see fit. *

First of all, homesickness is completely natural. For most people, it will be the first time that they've been away from their parental home and its comforts. Even for those who can't wait to start university, leaving the familiarity of home, its routines, places, people and even pets can be really daunting.*

So advice #1 - You're absolutely, 100%, you-can-slap-my-arse-if-I'm-not-right, not the only person who is feeling homesick. People just have different ways of masking and dealing with it. I missed my dog terribly when I started university. I thought I was the only one who pined after their pet, until I chatted with my flatmate and discovered that she was moping after her family cat (which, incidentally, used to scratch her to pieces. You can end up missing the weirdest of things).*

Advice #2 is to manage expectations. Don't be starting uni with a sad Susan attitude, but remember that those who tell you that uni will be the best experience of your life are those who have battled through the tough times and are most likely looking at it with misty eyes and rosy specs. The first few weeks of uni can be a massive anticlimax: you'll have to sort out admin things, the price of cheese is extortionate, you're starting a course with a completely different structure and difficulty that what you've been used to. It's OK if the first weeks feel a bit crap and require an exorbitant level of adultness. You're just starting out. Give yourself time.

Advice #3: If you didn't make it to the end of #2, I'll say it again: give it time.. Don't make any rash decisions after a week, even two weeks. I'm going to go out on a limb and ask you to stick it out for a term. Deciding whether to drop out or not is a really big decision, and when you're tired, emotional, drunk, and tired of living on beans on toast, you don't tend to make good decisions.

If you're feeling consumed by homesickness, my most valuable piece of advice would be to simply get out there. Most universities have a plethora of societies to get involved in: once you establish a sense of belonging, whether it's to a sports team or the chocolate society, you'll start to put down new roots. This doesn't just happen straight away - it might take a few weeks. Just breathe and sit tight. It's hard when you're not feeling 100%, I know, and being sociable when you just want to be at home is so difficult. But just remember: everyone's got an equal stake in this. Everybody wants to make friends and make this experience worth it. Cooping yourself up in your room like a chicken will only give you too much time with your thoughts, so do try and get out and chatting to people to distract yourself.*

Ultimately, you're at uni to get a degree, and that's easily forgotten in the first term. And no matter how crap you feel - keep going to lectures, supervisions, seminars, labs, etc. You'll only feel worse if you get behind because you've missed them all. And if you're finding the academic side of things difficult, speak to your course convenor, supervisor, academic tutor, and of course, your fellow students. Start a study group to kill two birds with one stone: you'll be staying on top of work and making new acquaintances!
    If this isn't helping, and you've given it some more time, try talking to a counsellor, welfare officer or chaplain. I can guarantee you that they've seen and heard it all before. Experience is wisdom, and they've likely seen lots of tired, sad and stressed students at their doors. They've probably seen most of them go on to do just fine.

If your mental health is beginning to deteriorate rapidly, and your mood is permanently low, you self-harm, have feelings of suicidality and/or worthlessness: see a GP, do call a helpline or speak to a nurse. *

Lots of people are in two minds about keeping up links with home: some say that ringing home will make you even more homesick, others say that not calling at all makes you more isolated. I think there's a happy medium. For Freshers Week, and even the week after, check in with your parents via text. Let them know you're OK - they're probably pining after you too, you know. But don't get caught up in super-long, sad and mopey conversations: your aim is to get out there and establish your roots to your new home. Of course, if your calls are long and happy, with you gushing about how much you love university and your new mates, 100% go for it!

Feel free to add things if you feel that you've got any other tips. In the meantime, look at this cute little guy.

Very logical process. Sound advice. :borat:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.