Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I have a HNC in Mechanical/ Electrical engineering. Is it likely I can get into Uni?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have a HNC in Mechatronics but am not interested in the electrical side of things and would be looking to study a Mechanical engineering degree. I have phoned some Universities and asked them whether they will accept it as entry however most have said that it would be considered on a case by case process. I was wondering if anyone has got into University with a HNC before and if so which type would be likely to accept. I’m not hopeful for any of the higher level universities as I know that they pretty much just take on people who have got A levels. I tried to look at how much UCAS points the HNC would be worth however after looking around the internet for a bit it seems that because they are a higher level qualification than A levels, they don’t count for any UCAS points and instead contribute towards credits?If it helps I also have a LVL 3 BTEC National Diploma in Engineering, which according to the UCAS point calculator equates to 80 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionableBlue)
    I have a HNC in Mechatronics but am not interested in the electricalof things and would be looking to study a Mechanical engineering degree. I havephoned some Universities and asked them whether they will accept it as entryhowever most have said that it would be considered on a case by case process. I was wondering if anyone has got into University with a HNC before and if sowhich type would be likely to accept. I’m not hopeful for any of the higherlevel universities as I know that they pretty much just take on people who havegot A levels. I tried to look at how much UCAS points the HNC would beworth however after looking around the internet for a bit it seems that becausethey are a higher level qualification than A levels, they don’t count for anyUCAS points and instead contribute towards credits?If it helps I also have a LVL 3 BTEC National Diploma inEngineering, which according to the UCAS point calculator equates to 80 points.
    Have you looked at Scottish universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Have you looked at Scottish universities?
    I was hoping to stay in England or not far away from England due to family etc. Can I ask why you ask about Scottish universities in particular? Do they allow for HNC qualification in a different way to unis in other parts of Britain?

ReputationRep:
    A HNC is a level 4 qualification , if your maths knowledge is good enough ( there's a lot of maths in most engineering degrees) i can see absolutely no reason why you wouldn;t be offered a place if you application was good enough ... some unis may offer you credit towards some or all of the first year based on your HNC - this is where the 'case by case' stuff comes in ;do you enter as a first year , with credit towards your first year or to the second year ?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't actually completed the HNC yet, I am now studying the final year and will hopefully be applying to go to uni in 2017.

I am taking an AS in maths this year just to make sure my maths knowledge is suitable and although it might not count towards anything I think it would show willing on my application.

I would try to enter as a first year as I think doing the first year would back up my maths knowledge even further and prepare me better for the later years.

This sounds positive towards me getting into a university as I was a little worried that the HNC wouldn't be a suitable qualification to get in with!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionableBlue)
    I was hoping to stay in England or not far away from England due to family etc. Can I ask why you ask about Scottish universities in particular? Do they allow for HNC qualification in a different way to unis in other parts of Britain?
    Scottish universities start at a lower level than English ones, and hence are probably more open to HNC students. I did my degree in Scotland and there were HNC/HND students who transferred over to BEng degrees.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.