Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: How and when to apply for a graduate role

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

You can view the page at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-graduate-role

Having secured a graduate job myself, I'd say this article is spot on. Always get your CV checked/reviewed by your university careers service if there is one.

The best time to apply is in September/October because that's when your workload is at its lowest. The earlier you start, the more time you have to spend on your applications. I actually applied for my job in May after my dissertation deadline and got the job by June. I was doing applications here and there periodically in between and found that my dissertation and exams were too important and so I didn't really have time to prepare for the interviews properly. Mind you, people do get them in between Autumn and Summer but you have to be extremely efficient with your time.

Preparation for interviews is pretty much the difference between getting the job and losing out. I can't tell you the amount of times I've been to an interview and not having done enough preparation, end up looking like an idiot when they ask you something simple like "What do you know about our company?". Always research the company and the job and always come prepared with questions to ask the interviewer at the end. Practice with family and friends but don't overdo it, if you sound rehearsed, interviewers will pick this up and it'll work against you.

Glassdoor is one of the best places to get interview tips for the job. People who applied for the job will put their experience down and tell you what is likely to be asked. But keep in mind that it's not 100% accurate and preparing off it alone won't be enough, but it's good to get perspectives from other applicants. I strongly recommend students to include their preparation using this site, it pretty much helped me get the job.

Use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) technique to answer competency based questions, never be too generic either like "I'm a hard worker" or "I'm a perfectionist" because interviewers probably hear it every day.

What I think people are most worried about is the fact that because it's an interview, it's supposed to be scary and intense. Going with that notion will only make you worry about it more. I know people who suffer from extreme nervousness and when put under the spotlight tend to crack. I used to be like this and I'd say the key to overcoming this is to imagine you're talking to a friend that wants to know more about you. Interviews are only scary if you want them to be. Just relax, take deep breaths and speak calmly.

One thing this article is missing is the assessment days. Some graduate schemes have them and it's important to prepare for those as well. Tasks can range to written assessments to group work so you should research the website of the company to see what kind of behaviours are endorsed in that company, and then display them on the assessment day. They are continuously observing you so make sure you don't be checking your phone or start daydreaming.

The last thing to say really is good luck guys, get the job you've always wanted!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.