Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How was your first experience flying?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    So I'm off to Romania tomorrow and, unfortunately, as part of that I shall be flying for the first time. How was your first time flying?

ReputationRep:
    I was 10 when I had my first flight and I remember it as being generally quite pleasant

ReputationRep:
    I was about 6 months old. Can't remember a thing
    First one I remember I was around 8 years old, no problems really

ReputationRep:
    Terrible.

I didn't get a window seat ;-;

ReputationRep:
    The first time I went on a plane was with my class for a GCSE Geography field trip, when I was 14. I was quite nervous beforehand, and for the majority of the flight itself, but nothing bad/scary happened, and we only had a small amount of turbulence. Maybe read up a bit about safety procedures etc beforehand to reassure yourself if you're nervous too

ReputationRep:
    My first time on a plane was for my 21st birthday. I went to Reykjavik and the flight was about 2 hours. I had the window seat. I wasn't too nervous until I was sat in my seat and we were taxiing on the runway and then I started grabbing onto my bf's arm and apparently I went chalk white and as we took off I whispered "I don't like this! I don't like this!" to him but honestly, its not that bad. I prefer landing to take off though. I've never experienced any turbulence on any flight I've been on.

The time after that I flew to Ireland and the flight was only half an hour but because by that point I was really bad with panic attacks in my every day life, the flight was horrendous and felt even longer than the flight to Reykjavik. If I didn't have anxiety, the flight would have been fine. The staff were nice, I had a good seat and there was no turbulence.

I haven't been flying since due to my anxiety, not just about flying but in general. Hoping to go abroad for my honeymoon though

I made a thread years ago asking what to expect and what its like to fly, it might be handy for you to check out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2319452

ReputationRep:
    Moved to travel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanaro)
    So I'm off to Romania tomorrow and, unfortunately, as part of that I shall be flying for the first time. How was your first time flying?
    I loved it, found it very exciting

As the novelty has worn off, I'm now convinced of an "airplane smell" and don't like flying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FightToWin)
    Terrible.

I didn't get a window seat ;-;
    Oh no!

ReputationRep:
    First one I remember was when I was eight. It was fun, but the food wasn't the best, and if you have to wait or your flight is delayed it is boring. Generally you can just watch movies or go to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, I was like 1 years old. Or, 12 months old if I was being pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    it was just like a bus ride
    what are you doing in romania lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhaenys10)
    it was just like a bus ride
    what are you doing in romania lol?
    Just like dancing with vampires and shizzle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanaro)
    Just like dancing with vampires and shizzle
    I know I love doing that too when I'm there

ReputationRep:
    My first flight experience was to Florida when I was about 3 or 4 years old and I loved it. On the way back we got delayed and had engine failure landed in Detroit and was moved to different aircraft and came back to the UK 14 hours later.

Since then I must have flown around 20 times and I still love it.

ReputationRep:
    My first flight experience was to Toronto in May last year and I loved it. I could hear this song playing in my mind as we were taking off:

On the way back we got delayed and was grounded on the run way for three hours due to a very heavy thunderstorm.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure tbh I was about 3 years old. Been off and on planes for ages now (had an expat/international school kid upbringing), so I've taken it for granted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll be totally fine, my first flight was when I was 3 and all I remember is eating a Cottage pie so I was totally fine

I've flown 4 times this year and had no issues, the only thing was an electrical issue meant the back toilet was out of use on a Titan Airways A321 so you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Totally fine, I was ultra chilled
    I'm far too anxious about a lot of things but the typical stuff like flying and rollercoasters...pretty relaxed about them
    edit: not sure if I subconsciously stole "totally fine" from the above post or it's a weird coincidence

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.