The Student Room Group

HELP Where should i apply?

Im an aspiring Medic, and after speaking to my head of year about UCAS and universities im a little stuck.

In my GCSE's i got 10A*'s 1A
AS i got AABB
A2 im predicted A*A*/A A
UKCAT i got 2020

Im sitting the BMAT in november and aiming for mid 6's
My personal statment is pretty decent I'm a solid writer so im preparing something pretty good.

In terms of uni's i was thinking:
Oxford/UCL (i need help choosing between these as i can only put 1BMAT)
Cardiff
Sheffield
Kings Foundation Programme
Warwick (Biochem)

I would appreciate all the advice and help i can get! Any recommendations or thoughts regarding anything
Thank you!
Original post by YagmurAdalier
Im an aspiring Medic, and after speaking to my head of year about UCAS and universities im a little stuck.

In my GCSE's i got 10A*'s 1A
AS i got AABB
A2 im predicted A*A*/A A
UKCAT i got 2020

Im sitting the BMAT in november and aiming for mid 6's
My personal statment is pretty decent I'm a solid writer so im preparing something pretty good.

In terms of uni's i was thinking:
Oxford/UCL (i need help choosing between these as i can only put 1BMAT)
Cardiff
Sheffield
Kings Foundation Programme
Warwick (Biochem)

I would appreciate all the advice and help i can get! Any recommendations or thoughts regarding anything
Thank you!

Hi there,

Great GCSEs! Sounds like you're actually on track for a pretty strong application. In general, your application sounds fine! Why are you going to the KCL foundation programme rather than the standard course?

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there,

Great GCSEs! Sounds like you're actually on track for a pretty strong application. In general, your application sounds fine! Why are you going to the KCL foundation programme rather than the standard course?

The Medic Portal

My head of year told me not to apply for the standard course but for the foundation year instead, although i dont really know why? I feel like its an extra year unnecessarily, I dont really understand the difference as it wasnt ever explained to me?
My head of year told me not to apply for the standard course but for the foundation year instead, although i dont really know why? I feel like its an extra year unnecessarily, I dont really understand the difference as it wasnt ever explained to me?

Morning,

So you're applying to the Medicine course with a foundation year. The KCL course is aimed at students studying A levels at non-selective state schools in Greater London, or students who participate in Realising Opportunities across England. Does this apply to you?

You can read more about this course on the KCL website.

Hope you find the above useful,
The Medic Portal
Morning,

Thank you so much for your help, and yes this does apply to my school! My school isn't brilliant and I guess my head of 6th form really wants me to secure my place in medicine. What would you suggest I do about Oxford? Is it worth applying because I have good GCSE's but not so good AS grades, although theyre not looked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morning,

So you're applying to the Medicine course with a foundation year. The KCL course is aimed at students studying A levels at non-selective state schools in Greater London, or students who participate in Realising Opportunities across England. Does this apply to you?

You can read more about this course on the KCL website.

Hope you find the above useful,
The Medic Portal

Morning,

Thank you so much for your help, and yes this does apply to my school! My school isn't brilliant and I guess my head of 6th form really wants me to secure my place in medicine. What would you suggest I do about Oxford? Is it worth applying because I have good GCSE's but not so good AS grades, although they're not looked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morning,

Thank you so much for your help, and yes this does apply to my school! My school isn't brilliant and I guess my head of 6th form really wants me to secure my place in medicine. What would you suggest I do about Oxford? Is it worth applying because I have good GCSE's but not so good AS grades, although they're not looked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Sure! It's worth a shot if you think you can do really well at the BMAT! As AS grades aren't counted, it doesn't really matter. What does matter, however, is whether you think you'll be able to get those top A*/A grades for A2, as this is what Oxford will be looking for.

If you think so, then you should go for it!

The Medic Portal
Hi there,

Sure! It's worth a shot if you think you can do really well at the BMAT! As AS grades aren't counted, it doesn't really matter. What does matter, however, is whether you think you'll be able to get those top A*/A grades for A2, as this is what Oxford will be looking for.

If you think so, then you should go for it!

The Medic Portal

Thank you ever so much! I'll definitely push it this year!

The medic portal have some fantastic videos for BMAT im using them right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you ever so much! I'll definitely push it this year!

The medic portal have some fantastic videos for BMAT im using them right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this feedback! The BMAT videos were created by really smart doctors and scientists. It's great to know you're enjoying them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest