The Student Room Group

Is my combination of A-levels going to get me into university to study Law?

I want to become a solicitor and I understand that means going to university to study LLB Law. I just transferred sixth forms and the A-level choices are rather limited compared to my old one. I'm considering selecting Media Studies, Film Studies and Business Studies. Could I get into a university to do law with this combination? Would I be better off doing History, Media Studies and Film Studies or History, Media Studies and Business Studies? I'm not bothered about attending a Russell Group university and my first choice would most likely be the University of East Anglia. I was told by someone at the sixth form I'm attending that the subjects you take don't matter for law and it is about whether or not you get good grades in your respective choices. Is this true? Is it possible that my A-level choices could prevent me from getting into university to study law? Sorry for asking a lot of questions but I like to be comprehensive and have my mind at ease prior to making such an important decision. All answers will be heavily appreciated.
Original post by Longhorns
I want to become a solicitor and I understand that means going to university to study LLB Law. I just transferred sixth forms and the A-level choices are rather limited compared to my old one. I'm considering selecting Media Studies, Film Studies and Business Studies. Could I get into a university to do law with this combination? Would I be better off doing History, Media Studies and Film Studies or History, Media Studies and Business Studies? I'm not bothered about attending a Russell Group university and my first choice would most likely be the University of East Anglia. I was told by someone at the sixth form I'm attending that the subjects you take don't matter for law and it is about whether or not you get good grades in your respective choices. Is this true? Is it possible that my A-level choices could prevent me from getting into university to study law? Sorry for asking a lot of questions but I like to be comprehensive and have my mind at ease prior to making such an important decision. All answers will be heavily appreciated.

Law is difficult to get into regardless of what university you go to. So subjects of Media Studies, Film Studies and Business Studies is going to be very difficult to get in as you show no passion for writing, creating and constructing arguments. You mentioned you might do History, and this is a big Yes. Get rid of film studies, and replace with history. And if possible get rid of media too and replace with English/Geography/Economics etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need at least 2 traditional subjects to even be considered for a degree at a good (top 15-20) uni. And keep in mind that some solicitors' firms look at the a-level subjects as well as the results. So, instead of Business do Economics and combine it with History or English, so that if you really want to study media/film you could have it as a 3rd A-level.
Reply 3
Original post by Longhorns

Pick 3:
English Literature
Politics
History
Sociology
Languages
Geography

Quick Reply

Latest