Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is maths required for medicine at Oxbridge?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    So I know maths a-level isn't a prerequisite at all but one college at Cambridge/Oxford but is there a preference for it?

Also if I want to go into the research side of medicine, will maths be needed? My current A-levels are Bio, chem, Latin and maths but I want to swap math for Mandarin so is that acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlinyTheElder)
    So I know maths a-level isn't a prerequisite at all but one college at Cambridge/Oxford but is there a preference for it?

Also if I want to go into the research side of medicine, will maths be needed? My current A-levels are Bio, chem, Latin and maths but I want to swap math for Mandarin so is that acceptable?
    For Oxford, 86% of applicants had A Level Maths and this figure rose to 93% amongst applicants who were given an offer (source). I can't offer any insight as to whether this is simply correlative or a genuinely causative relationship though.

ReputationRep:
    If they say its not required then its not required. I always thought most just took maths as it's relatively easy to get an A*/A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    If they say its not required then its not required. I always thought most just took maths as it's relatively easy to get an A*/A
    I know but if I wanted to go into the research side of medicine would a stats module in maths not be needed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    For Oxford, 86% of applicants had A Level Maths and this figure rose to 93% amongst applicants who were given an offer (source). I can't offer any insight as to whether this is simply correlative or a genuinely causative relationship though.
    Hmm. Thanks. Does where you do your medicine degree actually make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Thanks. Does where you do your medicine degree actually make a difference?
    I'm not a medic so I really can't answer this but I've been led to believe that you've got very good career prospects regardless of where you graduate from.

ReputationRep:
    Only Magdalene College at Cambridge specifically requires Maths. However, Cambridge as a whole requires three sciences to at least AS level, and those with only two to full A-level have a lower acceptance rate compared with those offering three. Oxford only want two sciences, so might be a better option if you really want to drop Maths, but bear in mind their extremely demanding GCSE requirements.

In answer to your other question, no, it doesn't really matter where you study Medicine in terms of "prestige." Foundation job applications are blinded to your medical school, and after that nobody in this country is really interested anyway. If you wanted to work overseas then a bigger name might be helpful, but within the UK it doesn't make much of a difference. Obviously finding a course style you like and a city you will be happy in will facilitate you doing well at med school though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Only Magdalene College at Cambridge specifically requires Maths. However, Cambridge as a whole requires three sciences to at least AS level, and those with only two to full A-level have a lower acceptance rate compared with those offering three. Oxford only want two sciences, so might be a better option if you really want to drop Maths, but bear in mind their extremely demanding GCSE requirements.

In answer to your other question, no, it doesn't really matter where you study Medicine in terms of "prestige." Foundation job applications are blinded to your medical school, and after that nobody in this country is really interested anyway. If you wanted to work overseas then a bigger name might be helpful, but within the UK it doesn't make much of a difference. Obviously finding a course style you like and a city you will be happy in will facilitate you doing well at med school though!
    Thanks. I got 11 a*s at GCSE so hopefully that won't be an issue. Do Oxford prefer maths at all? I'm just concerned two languages and no maths at a-level could hinder my prospects. Also if I wanted to go into medical research would maths be needed then?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I got 11 a*s at GCSE so hopefully that won't be an issue. Do Oxford prefer maths at all? I'm just concerned two languages and no maths at a-level could hinder my prospects. Also if I wanted to go into medical research would maths be needed then?
    As far as I'm aware Oxford have no preference for Maths, though a high number of their applicants will have taken it. Postgrad jobs do not ask for your A-levels, so it wouldn't hinder you there (must admit I don't know about PhD programmes though), they'll enable you to learn whatever mathematical techniques are necessary for whatever you end up doing.

Is Mandarin a native language for you? If so, be aware that it may not "count" for some places, though I don't have confirmation of that at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    As far as I'm aware Oxford have no preference for Maths, though a high number of their applicants will have taken it. Postgrad jobs do not ask for your A-levels, so it wouldn't hinder you there (must admit I don't know about PhD programmes though), they'll enable you to learn whatever mathematical techniques are necessary for whatever you end up doing.

Is Mandarin a native language for you? If so, be aware that it may not "count" for some places, though I don't have confirmation of that at the moment.
    Nope, Mandarin isn't a native language for me. Thanks for all the help. One last question, I also have a B grade in Additional Maths so will that help me at all in getting a place?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Mandarin isn't a native language for me. Thanks for all the help. One last question, I also have a B grade in Additional Maths so will that help me at all in getting a place?
    Doubt it, tbh - for Oxford it's all about the number and percentage of A*s, combined with the BMAT in some secret way, rather than necessarily the particular subjects.

ReputationRep:

Apparently, Cambridge prefer it but I don't think it's compulsory.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.