Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Making new friends in 2nd year

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I made some really cool friends during my 1st first year of University but as I start 2nd year all my friends from 1st year have left uni [ I have kept in contact with all of them] I only have one friend remaining . I'm moving into halls fairly late with my friend..as my friend has moved in already , he's told me there's only one person living there. So there would be 3 of us in total

I'm a naturally shy person and I suffer from social anxiety. I am worried that 2nd year won't live up to its fullest compared to my first year. I don't want want to be too clingy with my friend because he's on the same course as me too.

Just need some advice and tips in approaching and meeting new people
    PLEASE HELP
    THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livvy_95)
    I made some really cool friends during my 1st first year of University but as I start 2nd year all my friends from 1st year have left uni [ I have kept in contact with all of them] I only have one friend remaining . I'm moving into halls fairly late with my friend..as my friend has moved in already , he's told me there's only one person living there. So there would be 3 of us in total

I'm a naturally shy person and I suffer from social anxiety. I am worried that 2nd year won't live up to its fullest compared to my first year. I don't want want to be too clingy with my friend because he's on the same course as me too.

PLEASE HELP
    THANK YOU
    I didn't live in halls in my second year but I had lots of friends who did...inc one who changed unis and went straight into second year at my uni.

Making friends in any year can be tough so don't be put off by that! There are loads of things you can try:
    - You could join a society (I knew people who joined in third year so don't think it's just for freshers)
    - You could reach out to people you met last year (I reconnected with some friends from first year in my final year so again, it's totally doable and expected)
    - You can still knock on doors/sit in the common room with or without your roommate - you'll probably get a mix of people who are keen to still make friends, indifferent and not keen so again, don't be put off by that!

I know that if you're feeling anxious and shy even that can sound scary but you made friends last year so you've already pushed yourself...you will definitely be able to do it again

ReputationRep:
    [Alisaurus Cats]

Thank you so much, this is so reassuring . I will try my best to meet new people in societies and to talk to other people on my course. Just trying to stay positive and pray my 2nd year will be good. Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    [Alisaurus Cats]

Thank you so much, this is so reassuring . I will try my best to meet new people in societies and to talk to other people on my course. Just trying to stay positive and pray my 2nd year will be good. Thank you again!
    People do it all the time. Loads of 2nd years join socs and sports clubs for the first time because they spent their 1st year being boring, and really regretted it.

ReputationRep:
    [Alisaurus Cats]

Yes for sure....try to stay positive, even if you have a bad day/week

I hope 2nd year goes well for you and definitely join some societies if you haven't done so already as they can really add to your university experience (and can look good on your CV too yay)

ReputationRep:

PLEASE HELP
    THANK YOU
    Hello ,

It's a shame to hear that's how your second year is about to start. It isn't the end of the world though - have general conversation with the new person in your flat.
    You can try talking to different people on your course and making friends with them and then and if not, you could join a society and make friends that way.

Good luck

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.