Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

LLB law or BA Sociology?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    So I want to be an American attorney, so before I apply to the Harvard JD degree, I need a bachelors degree. I cannot choose between law and sociology.

Law:
    - I will be able to call my self Mr Billy, LLB JD (dual accreditation)
    - shows passion for law

Sociology:
    - Makes me more diverse for the JD degree
    - Won't have to study same thing twice.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billy_k)
    So I want to be an American attorney, so before I apply to the Harvard JD degree, I need a bachelors degree. I cannot choose between law and sociology.

Law:
    - I will be able to call my self Mr Billy, LLB JD (dual accreditation)
    - shows passion for law

Sociology:
    - Makes me more diverse for the JD degree
    - Won't have to study same thing twice.

What do you guys think?
    I wish you every luck in applying to Harvard - . However , whichever degree you decide to do you would have to ace it and it would need to be from a reputable University . I know a few who have had this ambition and only one who succeeded . They did Law at Oxbridge gaining a triple 1st and finished top of their year for 3 consecutive years . They went to Harvard on a scholarship otherwise the cost is ridiculous . They also found the US job market very competitive and are now practising in London . You would be applying to perhaps the most prestigious , competitive Law school in the world who take the very best , and having a lot of Daddy's money also helps . Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albcat28)
    I wish you every luck in applying to Harvard - . However , whichever degree you decide to do you would have to ace it and it would need to be from a reputable University . I know a few who have had this ambition and only one who succeeded . They did Law at Oxbridge gaining a triple 1st and finished top of their year for 3 consecutive years . They went to Harvard on a scholarship otherwise the cost is ridiculous . They also found the US job market very competitive and are now practising in London . You would be applying to perhaps the most prestigious , competitive Law school in the world who take the very best , and having a lot of Daddy's money also helps . Good luck
    Hello thank you for the response, however I have found some flaws in your answer. A JD graduate from Harvard will have great connections, there is no way that they would not be able to find work in the states (check out the international JD prospectus). Secondly, the reputation of your undergraduate does not matter much. If you go on the Harvard Law site, you will see that they take students from over 188 different institutions. The admissions committee head I spoke to, told me that the ranking of the school does not matter as much, it is how well you use their resources to your advantage and how well you perform against fellow students.

Other than that, please feel free to actually answer the question

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.