Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the point of having RAM on your computer

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I know RAM is short term data storage and when you switch the computer off the memory is wiped and ROM is storage that stores your data in secondary storage (i think) so its there for a long time. Whats the point of having RAM what would happen if you made your own computer and only had ROM on your computer and did not have RAM storage on your computer? Im sorry if this question is stupid or something, but i dont understand the point of RAM.

ReputationRep:
    ROM is the bios, even tho not really nowadays

ReputationRep:
    You would never have any currently running processes for one. So that would be a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    You would never have any currently running processes for one. So that would be a thing.
    Can you explain further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Can you explain further?
    If you had to store all temporary data on the hard disk, things would run incredibly slowly.

ReputationRep:
    Fast memory for storing files that may need to be loaded quickly like game assets.

ReputationRep:
    It's incredibly fast temporary data storage - the alternative would be to use standard data storage methods, but they're incredibly slow in comparison to RAM.

ReputationRep:
    RAM is faster memory than accessing storage devices, as others have mentioned

ROM (Read Only Memory) is as the name suggests a form of memory that isn't meant to be changed, only read. You can of course make updates to it but that doesn't make it appropriate for everyday tasks.

Basically ROM is important as a resource for storing startup information, the BIOS and so on, RAM is for storing currently running data because it's faster than accessing a traditional storage medium like a hard drive, while secondary storage (HDD, SSD, USB drives, etc) are for bulk storage.

Naturally this isn't set in stone as you can have RAM act as a storage device (effectively a fast access hard drive and other types of storage exist like cache.

ReputationRep:
    DDR4 average access time (true latency) of 14 nano seconds (1.4x10^-8) vs the fastest NVME ssd on the market with a random read op (true latency) of 1.21 milliseconds (1.21x10^-3) = RAM is about 87000 times faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I know RAM is short term data storage and when you switch the computer off the memory is wiped and ROM is storage that stores your data in secondary storage (i think) so its there for a long time. Whats the point of having RAM what would happen if you made your own computer and only had ROM on your computer and did not have RAM storage on your computer? Im sorry if this question is stupid or something, but i dont understand the point of RAM.
    RAM sppeds up the computer. If the hard drive did everything, I can't see the computer working very well, if it stored every single piece of data.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.