The Student Room Group

Why is A-level maths SO much harder than every other A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
And you are too inconsistent. The fact that you keep changing your story limits it's authenticity. No winning, so people like me, who are right: thank you for that admission of wrong (I didn't ask for one). You seem incredibly defensive of how you are not happy with your result/performance and now you sat you've done amazingly: more inconsistency. You are letting people know of your subjective opinion, and I'm letting you know that I disagree with you.

-I think i did really well, turning 8% to 58% in 2 months, especially in such a hard course.
-I'm happy with my result, it just isn't quite 'enough' to get in my course, therefore i'll keep working hard to improve.

What is your problem? You clearly have no friends, get a life dude.
I've put in bold the bits which make you sound like an argumentative ********. just so you know how to improve yourself as a person for next time.
I don't know why you think the whole thing is even worth arguing over, its hilarious.
You keep talking about inconsistency and me changing my story, lmfao, i'm not under trial for ****ing murder kid.
Typical TSR, pretentious no life little nerds sat behind their screen trying to make everyone feel bad about their grades. Because thats all they have in life:smile:
TL;DR: You're an idiot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lw8
-I think i did really well, turning 8% to 58% in 2 months, especially in such a hard course.
-I'm happy with my result, it just isn't quite 'enough' to get in my course, therefore i'll keep working hard to improve.

What is your problem? You clearly have no friends, get a life dude.
I've put in bold the bits which make you sound like an argumentative ********. just so you know how to improve yourself as a person for next time.
I don't know why you think the whole thing is even worth arguing over, its hilarious.
You keep talking about inconsistency and me changing my story, lmfao, i'm not under trial for ****ing murder kid.
Typical TSR, pretentious no life little nerds sat behind their screen trying to make everyone feel bad about their grades. Because thats all they have in life:smile:
TL;DR: You're an idiot.
1. Calm down.
2. I have plenty of friends
3. You have said conflicting things, which confuses me, this does not make you a murderer and I never suggested such.
4. It isn't worth arguing over, so stop disagreeing with me while I try to make you see your errors.
5. I am not a baby goat.
6. Your insults mean little. I am content with my life, but the level of emotion you're showing here demonstrates a certain dissatisfaction. But if insulting me makes you feel better then well done.
7. You were bound to get opposing points of view on a thread like this so what are you so upset about?
8. Thanks for the bits in bold. I'm glad you've actually read my post, if not digested it fully by responding properly.
Good day.
Original post by lw8
I don't understand why they make it so hard.
I got AAD in my AS (i'll be retaking and getting a B but thats besides the point).
For the 2 As, i didn't revise, it was fairly easy to keep up with the notes and be confident on writing essays for every topic.
Maths however; i did at least 8 extra hours a week from February to May (the exams), and still only got a D overall (58.7%).

AS levels are insultingly easy if its not maths (and some sciences, like chem/physics/computer science).

Maths is useless though.
Original post by Jacarch12
Maths is useless though.

Pardon me?
Original post by Naruke
Pardon me?

It is useless.
Pretty sure I didn't need to repeat that considering its in text format.
Couldn't agree more! A-level Maths is really difficult for me too!! Those who are naturals and understand Maths get on by fairly easy. But if you're someone like me then you have to work twice as hard as most people. It doesn't help that a lot textbooks out there literally just guide you through steps and processes without explaining why. Just try and stay motivated though, this torture will be over before we know it!
(edited 7 years ago)
It is useless.
Pretty sure I didn't need to repeat that considering its in text format.

You're stupid.
Original post by 04MR17
1. Calm down.
2. I have plenty of friends
3. You have said conflicting things, which confuses me, this does not make you a murderer and I never suggested such.
4. It isn't worth arguing over, so stop disagreeing with me while I try to make you see your errors.
5. I am not a baby goat.
6. Your insults mean little. I am content with my life, but the level of emotion you're showing here demonstrates a certain dissatisfaction. But if insulting me makes you feel better then well done.
7. You were bound to get opposing points of view on a thread like this so what are you so upset about?
8. Thanks for the bits in bold. I'm glad you've actually read my post, if not digested it fully by responding properly.
Good day.

1. People like you piss me off, thats what you're here for, and it worked, well done.
2. You have over 6000 posts on here, but i'll believe you
3. Why do you care so much?, the way you type makes you sound like an ******** that just wants an argument.
4. Errors? I haven't made any errors, the aim isn't spot the error, we were merely having a discussion and you made it seem like i was committing crimes with every post.
5. Kid refers to small person where i'm from.
6. Maybe i am dissatisfied? We aren't all as perfect as you.
7. You managing to start an argument over a harmless, light discussion upsets me.
8. Hope you can improve your online etiquette and stop speaking to people like you are some sort of superior human being, you probably don't even open your mouth in real life.
Original post by Philip-flop
Couldn't agree more! A-level Maths is really difficult for me too!! Those who are naturals and understand Maths get on by fairly easy. But if you're someone like me then you have to work twice as hard as most people. It doesn't help that a lot textbooks out there literally just guide you through steps and processes without explaining why. Just try and stay motivated though, this torture will be over before we know it!

Maths is not torture, it's a beautiful thing :frown:

Am I the only one that thinks so?
Original post by Philip-flop

Exactly! They presume you know things! It's really annoying haha, maths teachers and textbooks alike are only useful for people that know everything already.
Original post by Naruke

Maths is pointless by itself, but when applied, it is very powerful.
Original post by Naruke
You're stupid.

I disagree.

Original post by Naruke

I used to love Maths, which is why I picked it up as an A-level to learn in my free time. But I underestimated just how difficult it is!! Feel like textbooks never help with my understanding and sometimes have no-where to turn for help. How do you naturally talented Maths students learn to understand? That's my biggest problem. :frown:

Original post by lw8
Exactly! They presume you know things! It's really annoying haha, maths teachers and textbooks alike are only useful for people that know everything already.

That's exactly how I feel!! The textbooks are aimed at people who already understand everything!! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lw8
1. People like you piss me off, thats what you're here for, and it worked, well done.
2. You have over 6000 posts on here, but i'll believe you
3. Why do you care so much?, the way you type makes you sound like an ******** that just wants an argument.
4. Errors? I haven't made any errors, the aim isn't spot the error, we were merely having a discussion and you made it seem like i was committing crimes with every post.
5. Kid refers to small person where i'm from.
6. Maybe i am dissatisfied? We aren't all as perfect as you.
7. You managing to start an argument over a harmless, light discussion upsets me.
8. Hope you can improve your online etiquette and stop speaking to people like you are some sort of superior human being, you probably don't even open your mouth in real life.
1. You're welcome. And you're wrong.:biggrin:
2. There is no inverse correlation between TSR posts and friends. If you then claim there is then I want evidence.
3. Why do I care about why you're disenfranchised with Maths? Because Maths iss a subject I am passionate about, and as an educationalist, I believe that the systematic testing should not destroy that passion for a subject that a student may have once fostered. The way I type is standard English. If you interpret that as argumentative then so be it.
4. The errors in your revision and exam technique to make you get poorer results than you wanted/needed
5. Kid refers to a young goat in the dictionary
6. I know.:smile:
7. I have not started an argument. You disagreed with me.
8. You mean in standard English? My mouth is none of your concern, as your insults are none of mine.
Original post by 04MR17
1. You're welcome. And you're wrong.:biggrin:
2. There is no inverse correlation between TSR posts and friends. If you then claim there is then I want evidence.
3. Why do I care about why you're disenfranchised with Maths? Because Maths iss a subject I am passionate about, and as an educationalist, I believe that the systematic testing should not destroy that passion for a subject that a student may have once fostered. The way I type is standard English. If you interpret that as argumentative then so be it.
4. The errors in your revision and exam technique to make you get poorer results than you wanted/needed
5. Kid refers to a young goat in the dictionary
6. I know.:smile:
7. I have not started an argument. You disagreed with me.
8. You mean in standard English? My mouth is none of your concern, as your insults are none of mine.

I'll just to stay out of this kind of negativity, not good for your health.
FYI i did well in maths, i'd rather not hear you say that i did badly again, just because you have 7 degrees and 12 a*s at a-level.
Original post by lw8
I'll just to stay out of this kind of negativity, not good for your health.
FYI i did well in maths, i'd rather not hear you say that i did badly again, just because you have 7 degrees and 12 a*s at a-level.
That's incorrect as well. You did tremendously in Maths. But you could have done better, even if you refuse to accept it.
Original post by 04MR17
That's incorrect as well. You did tremendously in Maths. But you could have done better, even if you refuse to accept it.

Ofc i could've done better, i had a bad C1 exam, if i would've gotten 90% in that as expected, i would've gotten a B, in which, i couldn't have done any better.
Original post by lw8
Ofc i could've done better, i had a bad C1 exam, if i would've gotten 90% in that as expected, i would've gotten a B, in which, i couldn't have done any better.
Finally, you agree!
Maths is useless though.

Says the person writing this on an electronic device connected to the internet, powered by electricity.

sigh TSR never fails to disappoint me.
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
Because all of the exam boards tell you to revise one thing and then when it comes to the actual exam they COMPLETELY change the whole style of the question and screw everyone.:colonhash: If you don't believe me, look at the MPC3 June 2016 paper :smile:) that was a real dream killer *has flashbacks of that disgusting paper* *cringes*

This guy has obviously never seen WJEC maths papers.

Look at:
C4 2015
C2 2016
C3 2016

and maybe C4 2016.

C2 2016 seems easy however the questions were a different style relating to your point.
Some of the C3 questions had awkward final answers...

C4 is never a bad exam considered the low boundaries EVERY TIME

Solomon can go suck it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest