Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Advice on answering question

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    "To what extent do you think that profitability is the most important measure of performance for the directors of a public company in the U.K?"

Although it isn't a complex question, I find it hard to remember other methods of measurement and how to answer questions like this. Please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megand1999)
    "To what extent do you think that profitability is the most important measure of performance for the directors of a public company in the U.K?"

Although it isn't a complex question, I find it hard to remember other methods of measurement and how to answer questions like this. Please help!
    You'd have to have a look over the course you've just taken to see what they want you to talk about (i.e. you need to ensure you're meeting the aims set out in the Intended Learning Outcomes).

I would argue off the top of my head that despite profitability being a key performance measure of any business, public companies perhaps moreso given they are playing with investors money.
    Shareholder's ultimately drive public companies and this can have implications for the organization's original core values or vision. An active investor could force a flatter structure resulting in redundancies for example; why? Well, despite the rhetoric, to save money. If dividends aren't paid, or if investors aren't getting much ROI, or if a public company isn't hitting the targets set out at the start of the financial year; share prices fall (as does the value of the company) and investors start to look elsewhere.

Of course other measures still matter (client satisfaction/retention, employee satisfaction, you vs competitors among other KPIs).

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.