Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is this lying?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm writing my personal statement and about to submit it,

I played tennis competitively from when I was 12-16, and then I quit about 2 years ago,

On my personal statement I wrote "I have been a competitive tennis player for four years"

Now technically that is true, I have been a tennis player for 4 years of my life but not the most recent 4

Is this okay to write?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which universities are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Which universities are you applying to?
    Is that relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)

I played tennis competitively from when I was 12-16, and then I quit about 2 years ago,

On my personal statement I wrote "I have been a competitive tennis player for four years"

Now technically that is true, I have been a tennis player for 4 years of my life but not the most recent 4

Is this okay to write?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it is on the borderline but I would say it is okay, though if asked at interview or something they might think that you were trying to mislead them

ReputationRep:
    Is that relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really. Just making small talk.

ReputationRep:

Is this okay to write?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But yes what are the unis you are applying to as some interview and some don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Not really. Just making small talk.
    Oh, sorry lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    But yes what are the unis you are applying to as some interview and some don't
    I am not applying to any courses that interview, so bringing it up at interview is not an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There really is nothing wrong with that statement.

"I have been a competitive tennis player for four years" - it already implies past tense, so you're pretty much fine to phrase it in that way.

it would only be a deal breaker if you were applying to do a tennis degree ?

ReputationRep:
    Just say you played [past tense] tennis for four years, that way you're not lying and you won't be worried about being caught out .

ReputationRep:
    if it bugs you so much, just say 'i played tennis for 4 years' =)))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W. A. Mozart)
    There really is nothing wrong with that statement.

"I have been a competitive tennis player for four years" - it already implies past tense, so you're pretty much fine to phrase it in that way.
    Thank you very much that has put me at ease

I think it's good because phrasing it that way could imply I still am but without saying it explicitly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really important. It doesnt look good if they questioned you about it because the suggestion is you are currently a competitive tennis player rather than a retired one. They arent going to be bothered unless it was a sports science course and you were interviewed. If it came up in that context and they found out you had already quit, then they might think you were pulling a fast one, which goes to character. Really dont think hobbies is going to matter one bit.

ReputationRep:
    I am not applying to any courses that interview, so bringing it up at interview is not an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What course and what unis have you applied to? If you would rather PM me them that is fine

ReputationRep:
    I played tennis competitively for 4 years would be better but what you did say is not really a lie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not really important. It doesnt look good if they questioned you about it because the suggestion is you are currently a competitive tennis player rather than a retired one. They arent going to be bothered unless it was a sports science course and you were interviewed. If it came up in that context and they found out you had already quit, then they might think you were pulling a fast one, which goes to character. Really dont think hobbies is going to matter one bit.
    I won't be interviewed so that's not a problem, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I think it's good because phrasing it that way could imply I still am but without saying it explicitly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, it does imply that you still play tennis, which is good.

Good luck with your application by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You dont think they have seen a zillion forms before? They will be experienced enough at assessing forms. Of hobbies is the only thing you are going to stretch thats fine (akthough I cant see why it matters), but be careful it doesnt become a habit for other parts.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not a great use of space in your PS tbh. Whether you played competitively or for fun or spend your free time making sculptures from your belly button fluff won't really matter either way to admissions staff - they'd much rather hear about your academic interests.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.