Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Should I learn Economics A level at home?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Tried switching to economics from biology but school didnt let. Should I learn eco myself? I'm doing maths fm chem and bio as and will be dropping bio when i move on to a2

ReputationRep:
    bump

Double check your specification for biology. If it's the new linear spec and you don't want to carry it on, then I'd suggest dropping it now and entering economics as a private candidate if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Double check your specification for biology. If it's the new linear spec and you don't want to carry it on, then I'd suggest dropping it now and entering economics as a private candidate if you want to.
    School forces me to do 4 A levels

ReputationRep:
    Yes! If you're not interested in bio and plan on dropping it, make it a very low priority! I self studied edexcel economics AS this year from January without a tutor and gained an A if you do go ahead, feel free to PM me whenever whether it's for resources, advice, help or if you just feel like sharing something you've found and since I'm doing the new a level I'll need to go over all the year 1 stuff again. I loved it, but you'll need to have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject on and off the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Yes! If you're not interested in bio and plan on dropping it, make it a very low priority! I self studied edexcel economics AS this year from January without a tutor and gained an A if you do go ahead, feel free to PM me whenever wheather it's for resources, advice, help or if you just feel like sharing something you've found and since I'm doing the new a level I'll need to go over all the year 1 stuff again. I loved it, but you'll need to have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject on and off the course
    Do you go uni now? What uni do you go and what do you learn?

ReputationRep:
    And whats the difference between old and new spec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    Do you go uni now? What uni do you go and what do you learn?
    Still In year 13 pal! Year 2 is what they call A2 in the new spec lol but I'm studying Maths, Politics, Histroy and Economics

And whats the difference between old and new spec?
    The old spec follows the traditional system of AS/A2. Whereas the new spec is linear, meaning that all the exams will take place at the end of yr 13.

So if Biology is the new spec, you'd have nothing to show for it if you drop it at the end of the year 12. (As harsh as that sounds sorry!) That's why I said to double check.

ReputationRep:
    The old spec follows the traditional system of AS/A2. Whereas the new spec is linear, meaning that all the exams will take place at the end of yr 13.

So if Biology is the new spec, you'd have nothing to show for it if you drop it at the end of the year 12. (As harsh as that sounds sorry!) That's why I said to double check.
    They would still have an AS if they sit it but yes drop biology and pick up economics. Tell your school you want me to do 4 but don't even let me pick my 4 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    How hard is learning economics at home? Anyone got any good resources to use? Youtube vids?

ReputationRep:
    How hard is learning economics at home? Anyone got any good resources to use? Youtube vids?

tutor2u, economicsonline and khanacademy are all you need. Anything else, just search it on Youtube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    tutor2u, economicsonline and khanacademy are all you need. Anything else, just search it on Youtube.
    Alright thank you. Does economics have a lot of writing? I'm not an essay person

ReputationRep:
    Alright thank you. Does economics have a lot of writing? I'm not an essay person
    In the old spec a 25 mark essay in both As papers and 2 in both A2 papers, however its changed on the new spec (I think its a 20 mark as the biggest question in the first 2 units but have no idea what the other 2 are like)

ReputationRep:
    There's generally a mix. Short answer questions can be worth 4 or 5 marks. Medium length questions can range from 8 to 15 marks. The long essay questions are worth 25 marks.

EDIT: This is for my exam board, Edexcel A.

I remember you saying on another thread that you wanted to apply to top universities for economics. I would like to warn you now that some courses are not only maths-intensive but require a lot of essay writing. You need to get used to writing them.

ReputationRep:
    There's generally a mix. Short answer questions can be worth 4 or 5 marks. Medium length questions can range from 8 to 15 marks. The long essay questions are worth 25 marks.

EDIT: This is for my exam board, Edexcel A.

I remember you saying on another thread that you wanted to apply to top universities for economics. I would like to warn you now that some courses are not only maths-intensive but require a lot of essay writing. You need to get used to writing them.
    Do you know about how AQA doe it?

ReputationRep:
    No idea but it's not too difficult to look up a specimen paper.

You've got to do your homework, we can't tell you everything

ReputationRep:
    AQA has the same format.With both you do get multiple choice questions though.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I'm with Edexcel too! How are you finding it so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjasrule)
    I'm with Edexcel too! How are you finding it so far?
    The AS content was quite easy despite not knowing any economics beforehand. I just started Year 13 and can already see that it's more in-depth but I still think it's straightforward. I would be worried if I was struggling seeing as I'm applying for economics at university.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.