The Student Room Group

Resits and chances of getting in to Bath, Exeter, Nottingham, Edinburgh, St Andrews

Hello,
I know that there is a lot of these but I am quite worried. I got way lower in my AS levels than I thought I would: 2 Bs in History and English Literature and 2 Cs in French and German (I was one mark of a B in German so I am getting a remark). I dropped English as I want to do languages at uni. I am predicted either an AAB or a ABB.
French and German are half of the course but I am resiting them so my first question is how do universities know you are resiting?
Also there are some extenuating circumstances - my mum had breast cancer it was only a small one and she had finished her radiotherapy by Christmas but it did disrupt the start of year 12
. I want to study French and German and I have chosen Bath (Mod Lang and European Studies), Exeter, Nottingham (modern european studies so I would do politics too), Edinburgh and my ideal place, St Andrews. They are all ABB apart from St A which is AAB.
I was just wondering people's opinions on these universities and my likelihood of getting in? Particularly St Andrews? (Just to mention I am not a party person and I like old, pretty cities)
Any help would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Modern languages isn't as competitive as other courses at most universities (which is sad!), so I don't think resitting exams will harm your application too much. Of course, it's not ideal to have two Cs in languages, but if you're predicted the right grades and have a good reference you will definitely stand a chance I think.

If you're still unsure, you should email the admissions officers and ask them, because they'll know for certain. You also have to remember that grades only form one part of your application - you have your personal statement, reference and GCSEs (although these aren't so important outside of Oxbridge), too. Plus, AS grades aren't as important as A2 grades, so I'm sure you'll have a good chance!
Reply 2
Original post by DJon
Modern languages isn't as competitive as other courses at most universities (which is sad!), so I don't think resitting exams will harm your application too much. Of course, it's not ideal to have two Cs in languages, but if you're predicted the right grades and have a good reference you will definitely stand a chance I think.

If you're still unsure, you should email the admissions officers and ask them, because they'll know for certain. You also have to remember that grades only form one part of your application - you have your personal statement, reference and GCSEs (although these aren't so important outside of Oxbridge), too. Plus, AS grades aren't as important as A2 grades, so I'm sure you'll have a good chance!

Thank you very much for your advice and help :smile:

Quick Reply