Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Mitigating cirumstances

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Technically they can be albeit only if theyre rather serious not just a general malaise, so to speak.
    As for mentioning them to your employer I wouldn't there is limited upside and infinite downside seeing as it could make you seem a liability. That being said if you can get a Dr's note or the like attesting to its ill effects it might work.
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    This along with the higher apprenticeships would have been clearer.

1. What Carnation said if you are applying for uni, but you would have had time to claim special circs when getting your papers marked, which leaves only the reference really. Its unlikely to have that much sway imo unless the reasons for the depression had more substance. Circumstances beyond your control other than just straight stress and inability to cope.

2. Apprenticeships, again reference would seem wiser and that means you arent pleading your own case but getting someone independent to mention it. It will be obvious you have resat. Time for getting special circs for extra marks should have already been taken at the time. Its unlikely imo mild depression or anxiety would be enough for the resits.

If asked in interview keep it short and truthful, but angle it so its soemthing you realised you had and overcame. Dont be defnesive but you score more brownie points talking about what you cna do for them. the A levels just get you the interview, so they will have already done their job.
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Then it goes in the reference if you wish to have it mentioned. I'm afraid I'm not quite following where you are at in your A level studies. If there are more exams to come, then ask for consideration from the exam board. If they are in the past, then any claim for special consideration should be in a reference.
    Ok thank you all I understand and take on all advice and everything said. That being said maybe I am feeling bad for myself when I shouldn't. The words depression and anxiety get thrown around a lot these days so I don't know if people understand. After reading this thread it has become clear people obviously consider it a week excuse for not doing well and I appreciate you being honest with me. It's just that I felt it effected me badly as I couldn't do anything and constantly feel drained. I would spend the whole day doing nothing and the year seems like a blur. I got diagnosed officially from a therapist saying Generalised anxiety disorder and Moderate depression. Now for those of you who don't know it's when you worry but can't stop worrying. Obviosuly everyone worries but this like chronic. Anyways I have work to do and have stopped feeling sorry for myself. Maybe I couldn't handle the pressure but this time I will and get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epistemolog y)
    Ok thank you all I understand and take on all advice and everything said. That being said maybe I am feeling bad for myself when I shouldn't. The words depression and anxiety get thrown around a lot these days so I don't know if people understand. After reading this thread it has become clear people obviously consider it a week excuse for not doing well and I appreciate you being honest with me. It's just that I felt it effected me badly as I couldn't do anything and constantly feel drained. I would spend the whole day doing nothing and the year seems like a blur. I got diagnosed officially from a therapist saying Generalised anxiety disorder and Moderate depression. Now for those of you who don't know it's when you worry but can't stop worrying. Obviosuly everyone worries but this like chronic. Anyways I have work to do and have stopped feeling sorry for myself. Maybe I couldn't handle the pressure but this time I will and get good grades.
    By no means do i consider those things weak excuses! I know full well how unpleasant they can be dont worry. Unfortunately the term seems to include anything from feeling a bit blue upwards these days hence why if a doctors note can be obtained to back it up, as it were, it may well help.
    As for employers it is a bit irksome the general view unfortunately though such conditions are some of the most potentially damaging for them in terms of productivity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    By no means do i consider those things weak excuses! I know full well how unpleasant they can be dont worry. Unfortunately the term seems to include anything from feeling a bit blue upwards these days hence why if a doctors note can be obtained to back it up, as it were, it may well help.
    As for employers it is a bit irksome the general view unfortunately though such conditions are some of the most potentially damaging for them in terms of productivity.
    I completely agree. Imo the term generalised anxiety disorder seems to be just a bit more severe than normal anxiety which most people have from time to time. If I'm wrong I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wish to doubt your circumstances. I have merely been trying to ascertain whereabouts you are at and what you want to apply for. I think in general the rule of accentuating the positive and eliminating the negative should be borne in mind, and your grades are perfectly fine, so you are worrying for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNugent)
    I completely agree. Imo the term generalised anxiety disorder seems to be just a bit more severe than normal anxiety which most people have from time to time. If I'm wrong I apologise.
    No indeed that seems like the case these days. I mean everyone is going to have anxiety to some degree at some point but some people have it far worse to the point it is debilitating but having a general catch all term for it seems to lessen its standing.

I think you are worrying a little too much about soemthing which is unlikely to arise anyway. YOu will have resat and hopefully do well. I am not dismissing what you have gone through, but pointing out its a bit of a minefield and you need to be thoughtful about how you present it. Its much better to docus on the positive and no get wrapped up in talk avout depression and anxiety, they will be interested in you as a student or potential employee. Its fine to say you had a difficult time, so took the tough decision and resat to do yourself justice. Only if asked say say you were diagnosed with anxiety and depression , but have now dealt with them., Miss off the general and moderate bits.... then get back to selling your skills.

Its higly unlikely to come up as an issue, so keep it in proportion. Good luck.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Applying to uni

All the essentials

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Sponsored features:

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

More on applying to uni

Applying to uniA-level results day features

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.