Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why you are an atheist?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Two kinds of people. I just want to hear your views.
    Don't take me wrong, but I am excited to read about it.

ReputationRep:
    I see no compelling evidence to suggest that there is a deity.

ReputationRep:
    Why would i not be an atheist?

ReputationRep:
    there is no necessity for a god in the explanation for our universe and religions are clearly ********

ReputationRep:
    Lack of evidence

ReputationRep:
    I value individualism and equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a credulous ninny.

ReputationRep:
    Because, I believe scientists with concrete evidence, as opposed to some old book/scroll/whatever written by some random, thousands of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)
    I value individualism and equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the first time i've heard that as a reason to be an atheist but it certainly sounds like a good one

ReputationRep:
    Not an atheist, but I can understand why some people would be atheist, people like to think for themselves and I think that is natural. I don't understand why in many ways religion discourages this

ReputationRep:
    disbelief in God.

ReputationRep:
    I read the Bible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Not an atheist, but I can understand why some people would be atheist, people like to think for themselves and I think that is natural. I don't understand why in many ways religion discourages this
    That's interesting, do you believe in god but not subscribe to a particular religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    That's interesting, do you believe in god but not subscribe to a particular religion?
    I am part of a reiligion but I am not sure. Nothing else including atheist appeals to me, I think what I need it to do is educate myself a bit more regarding religion

ReputationRep:
    I'm not atheist, but I have my own views about everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I am part of a reiligion but I am not sure. Nothing else including atheist appeals to me, I think what I need it to do is educate myself a bit more regarding religion
    You don't have to put a name on your beliefs you know, my fiance believes in a god and the afterlife but doesnt call him anything imparticular

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from a logical mind.

ReputationRep:
    It was partly a reaction against sheer nonsense. I was raised in the Orthodox Church which has many bizarre rituals and requirements. You're bound to wonder, at some point, "really??? you want me to kiss this piece of wood otherwise God will be offended?? really??"

It is partly an inability to feel anything ...Godly. If I could feel and experience God-related stuff, I could probably bypass the intellectually indefensible practices and beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of a man in the sky watching us all, deciding who to torment and who to reward (without ever trying to save anyone from hell) for following his questionable morals of rape, misogyny, abuse and slavery, makes me laugh.

I understand why people take comfort in the idea of an afterlife, and I think hoping for a god and an afterlife is fairly normal... But being convinced a god exists!? I can't even comprehend how people can really, truly believe, beyond doubt, that there is a god when there's no evidence. There's absolutely nothing, and yet people are convinced. Makes me wonder what's in the water sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Because YOLO

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.