Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

easy or uncomfortable

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    i hear everybody say get out of your comfort zone but what do you do when you're faced with the easier option or uncomfortable option? i dont want to miss opportunities with the uncomfortable option but what if i hate it and i cant go back? the easy option is just easier for me but is that always right? please help me if you have any experience around this area/topic

ReputationRep:
    I often feel like you say. I'm missing a social right now because it's the uncomfortable option, and telling myself I have work to do (and then coming on TSR) is the easy option. But, in general, I do try and force myself to do the uncomfortable thing and it almost always pays off. It's easier to look at it from Future You's point of view - would you feel better having tried something new and being more knowledgeable and experienced about the world (and perhaps having met some new friends) or would you rather have just had another evening of doing the same old thing.

Even if it's a horrible experience, you'll come back wiser and more experienced. But often things turn out to be more enjoyable than you expect.

ReputationRep:
    what if this uncomfortable option involves moving? im trying to decide whether to stay in my academy's sixth form next year or move to a new school. if i stay its easy and i know everybody and it will be incredibly easy to get in but if i move i might get a new opportunity that i wouldnt get by staying or i would be too comfortable by staying but im worried i'll regret moving and i wont be able to move. everybody is advising me not to move but is this one of those situations that will change my life when everybody tells me it is wrong?
    (Original post by Lavaridge)
    I often feel like you say. I'm missing a social right now because it's the uncomfortable option, and telling myself I have work to do (and then coming on TSR) is the easy option. But, in general, I do try and force myself to do the uncomfortable thing and it almost always pays off. It's easier to look at it from Future You's point of view - would you feel better having tried something new and being more knowledgeable and experienced about the world (and perhaps having met some new friends) or would you rather have just had another evening of doing the same old thing.

Even if it's a horrible experience, you'll come back wiser and more experienced. But often things turn out to be more enjoyable than you expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benin.15)
    what if this uncomfortable option involves moving? im trying to decide whether to stay in my academy's sixth form next year or move to a new school. if i stay its easy and i know everybody and it will be incredibly easy to get in but if i move i might get a new opportunity that i wouldnt get by staying or i would be too comfortable by staying but im worried i'll regret moving and i wont be able to move. everybody is advising me not to move but is this one of those situations that will change my life when everybody tells me it is wrong?
    Oh, perhaps you should have put that in your question as there's a lot more to changing school than just whether it's in your comfort zone or not. Does it do the subjects you want, and get better results? Does it have more after-school activities that could help you meet new people? Does it give you more freedom and potential to mature as an adult (such as a college instead of a school sixth-form)? Is it nearer to you, or further? If you're really happy where you are and don't see any clear advantage to moving then I'd say stay.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much i dont think you realise how much this has helped me, i think im going to stay because the only reason i want to move is to meet new people but i think there are much more opportunities to meet new people instead of moving school

(Original post by Lavaridge)
    Oh, perhaps you should have put that in your question as there's a lot more to changing school than just whether it's in your comfort zone or not. Does it do the subjects you want, and get better results? Does it have more after-school activities that could help you meet new people? Does it give you more freedom and potential to mature as an adult (such as a college instead of a school sixth-form)? Is it nearer to you, or further? If you're really happy where you are and don't see any clear advantage to moving then I'd say stay.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.