Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

My thoughts on brexit- anyone agree?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by Paraphilos)
    That's a strawman argument to be fair and not always true. In 2003 or around then when the A8 joined the EU and immigrated in their masses to work in the UK, wages actually increased substantially. It was only when the financial crisis hit and then austerity kicked in a few years later that things got quite a bit worse. In certain sectors like lorry driving and nursing, for instance, some Brits feel hard done by and I can understand that totally. But that isn't the EU's fault.
    Yes, I should have said that it drives down wages for the ones that were here in the first place. That is the whole point. You get cheaper workers. Management gets a pay increase. Everyone is happy. . And in a global economy why spend money training Brits when there is a vast reservoir of trained staff in Eastern Europe who would be delighted to work here?

Maybe the Brexiters were just better at reading the writing on the wall.

(Original post by Pars12)
    This is predictive economics. Sounds good, doesn't work.

e.g. Monetarism under Thatcher

-lame ducks to the wall
    -smaller, stronger manufacturing base remains
    -exports rise
    -They pay tax - government richer - better education/NHS etc.

... didn't happen
    fair enough

(Original post by Pars12)
    I can see you've really got the hang of this debating thing.
    There's nothing to debate here. You need to get your facts straight if you want a debate.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Agree except for the decrease immigration part. I think problems people face leading them to want reduced immigration can be fixed or nullified in other ways (or the problems have nothing to do with immigration).
    Few things annoy me more than when hard line right wingers suddenly pretend to care so much about our NHS and public services when it comes to immigration.

With the finance and service sectors covering near to 80% (according to some papers and independent studies) of the UK economy, I was pretty shocked to find out a lot of people were voting for a Brexit.

Immigration while sucky if not controlled can be manipulated to do good in the right hands. I guess we'll never get to see that now.

Also, a lot of people voted "OUT" because they felt that the EU and UK was abandoning them even though they had chances to better themselves.

All in all, UK is a business first and a country second, that goes for all countries. If Britain leaves the EU and defaults, there's no wasting time, other countries will be looking to replace it.

Biggest problem with referendums and feeling like you live in a direct democracy is that it makes you feel like you are entitled to vote on something and that you know a lot about that something.

Obviously though the intricacies of the EU are too difficult to fathom for normal citizens to understand, including myself. The problem is people just aren't humble enough - not willing to admit that they don't understand something. Britain is fast becoming delusional in this respect.

It is my view that once you accept the idea of being very ignorant to the world around you, only then do you begin to engage with politics properly. That engagement is key because it allows you to at least make a decision with say 60% accuracy as opposed to near zero. Since this is probably impossible to achieve however, I would heavily advise against referendums. They've become a tool for political power now - Theresa May is not interested in discussing the terms of exit even though we have parliament and that screams to me of wanting power in the next election to appease Brexiteers as opposed to actually enquiring as to whether we are better off leaving or not despite what 'the people' voted for.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.