The Student Room Group

Do you think I will be able to handle this EE course alongside work?

I'm going forward for an EE course at basingstoke, it's a HND. Now these last two years I've been studying web development trying to get a job in it, because I haven't been able to get a job in it, I just thought I should go back to college and get this HND out of the way, if I don't then I could be stuck in a rut if the web development thing doesn't work out.

The main reason I am going back is because I found it hard to find this course, so if I don't do it now, I don't even know if there'll be another opportunity to get on it and the degree would never get complete, locally they couldn't accept me as I didn't have a work placement (a module required a placement).

So now I'm in the situation of studying at basingstoke, but if I get a job offer I will accept it, might have to quit the course though, however other students on my last course got one day off, I could just say to the employer that i'm busy one day. I can see college and work clashing, the employer won't like it that I'm studying another subject, so I won't tell them that.

I also think getting the course out of the way is a good idea even if I got a job in web development as web dev industry might die in the future.

The course I imagine will become quite hard and if I had a job alongside it, I would get bogged down. But I will make sure I am studying the whole day on the college day, I can go for hours with my ADD medication.

I wouldn't be in this situation if a company gave me a chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
It is difficult and I'm sorry you're in this situation. If you feel this course will be beneficial in the future I'd say taking the time to do it now is a good idea even if it means a little while of working very hard. How long is the course?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
It is difficult and I'm sorry you're in this situation. If you feel this course will be beneficial in the future I'd say taking the time to do it now is a good idea even if it means a little while of working very hard. How long is the course?

The course is around a year long, I had my first day on thursday, still haven't received student loan yet, they said the course will have a lot of assignments but what i'm going to try to do is do as much work as possible on the train, and make sure i'm up together on what is taught in class. I struggle with the calculus, to me I can tell that's the hardest aspect of electrical engineering, which from the HNC I did actually fail the exam twice before passing. What i'm worried about is not being able to get the web developer job if i'm in college or it holding me back, it would be money from working lost.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest