Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

I have no idea what i want to do with my life and i really need help and advice.

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    When i was in y10 my attendance was horrific because of medical issues and i was behind in my work and struggled with school. So the solution was that i got homeschooled. I am in y11 now and i am doing my GCSEs in 2017. Not only am i freaking out in case i don't get the grades i want, but i also don't know what i want to do after my GCSEs. All my friends are going to college but i have issues with getting around places like schools and i hate being around groups of people. My oldest sister didn't go to college, she went straight into an apprenticeship and now has a full-time job and is happy as an estate agent. My other older sister is still in college/university (we don't speak as she doesn't live with me) and she seems quite happy too. I guess i would be fine with an apprenticeship but it would require certain GCSE grades and honestly the only two apprenticeships i would really do are: Library (local, public library) or estate agent (because i know a little about it from my sister). Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Getting work experience or doing an apprenticeship are not bad ideas. Is there no one you can talk to about your grades and options? If you're being home schooled you must have tutors?

You have issues geing around places? You have a disability?

If you dont get the grades, then take them again. You really need 5 at A-C including Maths and English.

If you hate being round groups of people, then how will you do an apprenticeship working with others? You need to tackle that issue. Library has people, estate agent has people.

Your ideas about what you might like to do are are able to do seem very limited. You have the potential to do much more. What you need is some careers advice.

Open an account at National Careers
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx

You can book an appointment to see a careers adviser plus theres tons of info on the webiste. You can also talk over the phone and by webchat. I would suggest going in peson to see an adviser. They can run through your options. Do as well as you can for your exams. Practice past papers and dont worry as you can take them again. I wouldnt take them till your tutors are confident you can pass.

ReputationRep:
    dfg

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was homeschooled and did my GCSEs from home. It's really possible, to get good grades I would suggest looking for YouTube videos on your subjects. I found this really helped me. I had to work hard but I still had a social life, so it is possible to be homeschooled and do well. I got an A*, A and the rest were B's. The best thing I would recommend when coming to decide what you want to do is:

- Don't just do something because your sister is doing it, unless you have a genuine interest in it also.
    - What subject are you good at, I was good at psychology and enjoyed it so I'm working towards becoming a psychologist.
    - maybe think about a gap year, you don't have to decide by the age of 18 (my sister couldn't decide what she wanted to be and she took a gap year and travelled the world, she now at uni working towards becoming a social worker).
    - what makes you happy (maybe you love art, make up, sport, science etc) do what makes you happy, there's so many careers out there. You never know something that you have a passion for might just be a job you can do.

I really hope this helps xx

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.