Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

help me gain weight

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

hi so i'm a 19 y/o female who is 5ft4 and weighs 8 stone. i've been skinny all my life due to not having much of an appetite and being quite a fussy eater and i'm sick of it. after a few nasty comments about my weight at work i've decided to make an effort to change. i just bought some scales to track my weight as my mum never allowed scales in the house before and i've downloaded a food diary on my phone to track how many calories i eat in a day.

now the only part is to actually gain weight. i really struggle with eating large amounts of food as i get full very quickly and feel horrible all day if i eat too much. how can i overcome this? i've been thinking of making homemade shakes that are full of calories (by adding fruit, milk, peanut butter etc.) and was thinking of buying one of those tubs of protein powder to add to it? would this help as i'm sure i'd find it easier to drink a shake than finish a meal.

if anyone has any other helpful ideas on how i can get weight then please let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're lifting weights as part of your exercise routine, that's the only way to gain "good" weight (I.e. not turn fat)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hi so i'm a 19 y/o female who is 5ft4 and weighs 8 stone. i've been skinny all my life due to not having much of an appetite and being quite a fussy eater and i'm sick of it. after a few nasty comments about my weight at work i've decided to make an effort to change. i just bought some scales to track my weight as my mum never allowed scales in the house before and i've downloaded a food diary on my phone to track how many calories i eat in a day.

now the only part is to actually gain weight. i really struggle with eating large amounts of food as i get full very quickly and feel horrible all day if i eat too much. how can i overcome this? i've been thinking of making homemade shakes that are full of calories (by adding fruit, milk, peanut butter etc.) and was thinking of buying one of those tubs of protein powder to add to it? would this help as i'm sure i'd find it easier to drink a shake than finish a meal.

if anyone has any other helpful ideas on how i can get weight then please let me know!!
    Exercise!!!!

I don't mean attempt to become the next Arnold Schwarzenegger (unless that's what you want), get a bicycle and ride that. Ride it to and from work every day. Go jogging in the morning, You will notice yourself eating more and more. Gradually, you'll gain weight and see results. But you need patience and dedication.

(Original post by Optimum_)
    Exercise!!!!

I don't mean attempt to become the next Arnold Schwarzenegger (unless that's what you want), get a bicycle and ride that. Ride it to and from work every day. Go jogging in the morning, You will notice yourself eating more and more. Gradually, you'll gain weight and see results. But you need patience and dedication.
    i find it hard to find time to exercise as i work 12 hours 5 days a week and on my days off i'm usually too tired to exercise, especially as i spend all day on my feet walking around

i find it hard to find time to exercise as i work 12 hours 5 days a week and on my days off i'm usually too tired to exercise, especially as i spend all day on my feet walking around
    What type of job is this?

What type of job is this?
    i just work in a shop but a very large warehouse kinda shop so i do about 20,000 - 30,000 steps a day

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, try and get into weight lifting; this provides you with numerous health benefits and is a great way of improving your self-confidence. There are plenty of resources online to find out more about it. Try and incorporate compound exercises into your regime, which will help you to put on weight for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you will succeed!
    And what about you? You said that you've decided to gain weight after a few nasty comments but are you okay with your body or you don't like it? Sorry if this question is too personal.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.