The Student Room Group

Oxford tops THE world rankings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, but who are they spending it with? And what has gone on behind the scenes?

Anyway, of course I'm not saying there is no public spending left and no doubt May (Oxon: Geography) has a slightly different attitude towards it than Osborne (Oxon: History), but we will see as time passes if Philip Hammond (Oxon: PPE) is of the same mind.

Oh, Oxoff already :rolleyes:

:lol:
Original post by yudothis
The Anglo-Saxon obsession with rankings is quite astounding.

Are you kidding me? The most harder 'rankers' you'll come across are in the East. Singapore is near mental for it, as is Japan and S.Korea. And as for India and China...
Original post by Athematica
Oh, Oxoff already :rolleyes:

:lol:

Oxterminate... Oxterminate... :cookie:
Reply 43
Original post by Tony S
When I look at the snobs; bullies; ignorant, conceited rich-kids; and personifications of pure arrogance that Oxford University has, by way of the Tory party, put into British Government over the last 40 years, I do not see much to commend the place.

I'd actually rather like to see the place removed from the British academic map. It served a purpose only up until Cambridge was founded, and precious little after real universities like UCL, founded on academic principle rather than wealth and religious bigotry.

Oxford: beautiful city, but the university has had its day. A LONG time ago.

Being the first university to be established in the UK means that, unsurprisingly, it has history. At the time of being set up, universities were male-only and degrees were simply a precursor to becoming a high flyer in the Church. Of course it was founded on religious footing - that was the norm at the time. One of the most ignorant things you can do is judge people of the past by today's ideals.

Following that logic: I suppose we should scrap any majorly successful UK-based company/institution because when it was set up it wasn't 1000 years ahead?
3rd place again... at least we're still above cambridge, i'll take that :colonhash:
Reply 45
Can I ask why unis such as Warwick are ranked quite low compared to, for example, Kings in the world rankings when it is rated much more highly in the national league tables?
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
I thought Harvard University or Massachusetts Institute of Technology which were ranked 1st? :s-smilie:

Harvard is No 1 on US News and ARWU.

MIT has only ever been No 1 on QS.
Original post by Tony S
When I look at the snobs; bullies; ignorant, conceited rich-kids; and personifications of pure arrogance that Oxford University has, by way of the Tory party, put into British Government over the last 40 years, I do not see much to commend the place.

I'd actually rather like to see the place removed from the British academic map. It served a purpose only up until Cambridge was founded, and precious little after real universities like UCL, founded on academic principle rather than wealth and religious bigotry.

Oxford: beautiful city, but the university has had its day. A LONG time ago.

And who are you to say that?

Because according to academics, Oxford is still publishing much of the world's best research.

According to employers, Oxford is still graduating much of the world's best employees.

According to students, Oxford still has some of the world's best university teaching.

And all this is achieved not only by having only 15% of the money Harvard has, and in fact with less money than what Cambridge has.
Reply 48
Original post by Little Toy Gun
(Oxford) less money than what Cambridge has.

@Fullofsurprises
And then....
Tamil Fever comes and tops the world ranking at #-1M

Fact: in 12-13, Cambridge had £104m (No 2 in the UK behind UCL) in research income, Oxford had £84m (No 4 also behind Imperial).

Fact: as of 2014, Cambridge had an endowment of £5890m whilst Oxford had £4245.9m.

Fact: Oxford has more undergraduates than Cambridge has. According to the vice-chancellors, the tuition fees do not cover the costs of the degree and thus the more home students an institution has, the more money they lose.

Fact: Oxford has more funding from the EU than Cambridge has. This means the situation will be worse.

You can also go and look at their detailed financial reports. Don't have the time but Oxford made less money.
Reply 51
Original post by yudothis
The Anglo-Saxon obsession with rankings is quite astounding.

Probably because religion is so strong, and maths education is so weak.
Reply 52
Fact

I wasn't doubting it. I know Cambridge is wealthier. I was pointing it out to fullofsurprises.
Original post by jneill
I wasn't doubting it. I know Cambridge is wealthier. I was pointing it out to fullofsurprises.

Are they in denial of that?
Original post by ieM
Can I ask why unis such as Warwick are ranked quite low compared to, for example, Kings in the world rankings when it is rated much more highly in the national league tables?

Because international rankings are mainly based on global reputation and research quality, whereas national rankings are based on the amount of resources allocated to students and the resulting student satisfaction scores.

In effect, international rankings aren't about universities as educational institutions, they're about their role in the knowledge sector, and they aren't really worth looking at until you are at the postgrad stage or beyond.
Reply 55
Are they in denial of that?

Did you read any of the earlier posts? Start here.

It's just a bit of banterbridge between us. Nothing for you to worry about...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Did you read any of the earlier posts? Start here.

It's just a bit of banterbridge between us. Nothing for you to worry about...

ok
There seems to be this weird perception on TSR that King's isn't a very good university.
Whatever happened to Havard?
Original post by Josb
It's the same in every country.

Not at all.

You see, that's the problem with making definitive statements, I know of at least two where before a couple of years ago no one even knew uni rankings really existed.

Quick Reply

Latest