Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Skype or telephone interview?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    For a BA Fine Art course, an in-person interview is typical. The problem is I have extreme social anxiety, and although I could attend the course in person because it's a different context, an actual in-person interview terrifies me. Do you know if it would be possible to get a Skype and/or telephone interview instead in my situation? I know that international students can get a Skype interview for BA art related courses at university typically, I think. I am not an international student but still...? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Have you contacted the uni to ask them?

ReputationRep:
    >disabled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    >disabled
    Correct me if I am wrong, but do you mean social anxiety is not a disability? I get disability benefit for my social anxiety and OCD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    Correct me if I am wrong, but do you mean social anxiety is not a disability? I get disability benefit for my social anxiety and OCD.
    As it's incredibly hard to diagnose efficiently there will always be discrepancies over it, but maybe the mental health section would be more relevant?

I feel for anyone suffering any form of mental illness, but how are you going to cope with 3 years of university if you can't attend an interview?

Nothing personal, I'm just genuinely curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    As it's incredibly hard to diagnose efficiently there will always be discrepancies over it, but maybe the mental health section would be more relevant?

I feel for anyone suffering any form of mental illness, but how are you going to cope with 3 years of university if you can't attend an interview?

Nothing personal, I'm just genuinely curious.
    It's a fair question but the two situations are different contexts, different situations. If you don't have social anxiety, which I presume you don't, I think it would be difficult for you to understand. The attendance for the course I could do, but the interview is the major issue for me, which is why I'm asking about it here .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    It's a fair question but the two situations are different contexts, different situations. If you don't have social anxiety, which I presume you don't, I think it would be difficult for you to understand. The attendance for the course I could do, but the interview is the major issue for me, which is why I'm asking about it here .
    I don't like being social but then I suppose it doesn't have a mental impact on me.

I'd just call the uni, if you mention your social anxiety it's likely they'd be able to give you a telephone interview.

Google it, or you could try the Uni life forum. Might give you more replies.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.