Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Year 12, Friends, Subjects, Work experience

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I am in need of so much good advice because I feel trapped right now and I can't seem to make my own decisions. I feel kind of on and off depressed sort of at this new sixth form which is in a completely different environment to my old school. It's in the middle of no where and far from where all my old friends are, I feel so isolated with all these people who already know each other and want to stick to their groups. I started talking to this girl who is also new but two of her friends moved here with her so I always feel like I'm butting in and ruining their fun moments at lunch, plus we do completely different subjects to each other so I never see her. It's so hard to join in conversation with people in my chem, bio and maths class, I hate waking up in the morning and having all these thoughts in my mind.

I also need work experience cause I want to do something with medicine at uni but I don't know where to go? elderly care home? My sister worked there and she said she hated it cause it was so depressing so she stopped working there quickly.

I really need your advice, anything please, I'd be so grateful :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i cant say i know exactly what you are feeling but one of my closest friends left sixth form so i also feel quite lonely. the good thing is that because A-levels are so demanding, you dont really have the time to talk to others in class as you need to concentrate. im sure that as the days go by you will feel more welcome so dont worry, just work hard and smile youll get through it, unless this girl you talk to specifically tells you that you are ruining her fun you have no reason to think so, dont put yourself down!
    as for work experience try to sign up for work with your local GP, i think that is viewed as quite well by universities, it doesnt matter if you just sit there and watch its good work experiece. there is also this really good work experience thing called gap medics, search it up because it looks amazing and i am actually considering attending to it. also try to attend as many talks about medicine as you can and also read about medicine as well.
    im sorry for my terrible spelling mistakes and lengthy message but i hope this helps at least a little! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    This has made my day! Thank you so much and sorry for the late reply what A levels are you doing? That's true, we all need to concentrate since its A levels but they all have their moments where they talk a lot between themselves and I don't understand their "banter", I just keep reminding myself that its only for two years. And apparently it's compulsory to do an EPQ but I wasn't expecting to do that with my 3 a levels?
    Yeah she is really nice and we're going out for dinner on Saturday so hopefully that will bring us closer.
    And I thought many GP's decline work experience as many people do ask and it's due to safety or hygiene reasons? And where would the talks be?

ReputationRep:
    i am doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Literature(im not gonna lie im starting to regret it), i know how you feel about the awkward conversations it happens to me too,but unless these people are rude, im sure that if you just try to join in it'll be fine, like sometimes if i hear something funny, it doesn't matter if i know you or not, ill probably laugh out loud and look over at the group and then we get this silent connection, like if they are nice people im guessing it should work out somehow.
    Yes universities love EPQ's and it can even lower your university offers if you get a very good grade in your EPQ, i personally think its a good thing so give it a shot and put in loads of effort, its all for a good cause!
    yay i hope you have fun at your dinner!
    and no, literally the fact that you just sit in the GP is good enough like its just overshadowing and stuff you dont actually do anything because of safety and data protection, if you are lucky you might get to even see a patient but thats about it, make sure youve got a good CV though for when you apply.
    well if you look online there should be quite a lot of information on talks. im not sure about your school but mine has this thing called futures and it has information and stuff for talks about people intrested in different jobs and such. there's also this talk thing i went to called medic mentors which is quite good, you can google it and see. the one i went to was in london but im not really sure how good you are with getting to places.
    once again sorry for this lengthy message but i hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, that seems like alot but then doing an epq is kinda doing like another A level, you have to put the same amount of work and effort into it. So are you going to drop any or change them? Which one are you not sure about? And what are the exam boards for each of your subjects? Yeah that's what I try to do, not just keep quiet and stuff. I'm in their chemistry group chat as well which they're talking on 24/7 but I always do some work when I get home so there's no time for that continuous conversation about iron man and the avengers:curious: and if I do finally say something on the chat it'll be like where on earth did you come from
    And I know I have loads of time but any idea what you think my epq should be on about since I want to do something medicine based?
    Thank you so much for all the help that you're giving me! I wish I could send you like a big hug cause it does feel better to get some advice on someone who understand it all on my level.
    Yeah I'd love to attend talks but I'm kind of far from london and all those places like hertfordshire area.
    And no need to apologize for the lengthy replies, the more the merrier!

ReputationRep:
    well an EPQ is about 4000 words on any topic of your choice, i mean its a lot of research and work but think about it, if you make it medicine based, its proof that you have been interested in medicine for a while so the unis will love that i think. well to be honest i havent really thought of a topic myself but i have a friend who also wants to do medicine and i think she is doing hers on scuba diving and decompression sickness. im guessing if its medicine related you could do yours on some type of sickness and go through like what it is, who it affects, when it was discovered and what medicines are being made to combat the sickness and how it was made, you could also do like an origin of medicine and how its developed in the past, basically what you are passionate about im not really sure myself.
    im going to drop english literature at A2 definately so yeah, and thats also what im not sure about because everyone doing english lit seems so art orientated and then theres me like boom sciences featuring english lit. i love english but its so much work and research that i dont know if its worth doing because i need these A's and maybe even an A* in my sciences and maths at A-level.
    "if I do finally say something on the chat it'll be like where on earth did you come from" ummm you came from their chemistry class...BOOM
    no, its good to start thinking about EPQs early
    aha no problem, its a pleasure, ill send you a hug also
    hmm maybe one weekend you can like spend the weekend in london or go on like a day trip to a talk im not sure, tslk you your parents or guardians about it maybe theyll be able to help.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.