Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm about to live on my own for the first time of my life...

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to my accommodation in just two days and I don't know if I should be nervous or excited. I'm looking to make some new friends, and in time possibly even a girlfriend. The thing is, my introverted lifestyle sometimes hinders this progress and since I'm moving to a completely different place, this seems like a good opportunity to turn over a new leaf and actually put some effort in changing my lifestyle for the better. I can't really afford to mess this up as I have done numerous times in the past.

So my question is, can anyone give me a leg up as to how I can go about doing this without making an awkward mess of myself? Any help given is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The way to make new friends, especially in university, is to just be open minded! On the first night, majority of your housemates will be in the same situation... just left home, sad and wanting to make friends/fit in.

Forget about comfort zones... get out there! Join in on conversations, outings to the pubs/clubs (Even if you don't like drinking, just have one and then stick to the soft drinks!) When you arrive at your uni accommodation try to keep your door open as much as possible, so buy a door wedge! This will encourage your flatmates to talk to you and you'll make friendships.

Whatever you do, don't wait a long time before initiating conversation... your bonds need to be formed within the first few days, and therefore carry you through the rest of your university experience.

Basically, get out of your comfort zones and try to engage with the other people who are in your flat. Another good way to make friends is to join your universities clubs/societies... there should be a 'fayre' on which will allow you to see all of the society that the uni has to offer!

Good luck, let me know how you get one!

hey! Im exaclty in the same place! We can do it boy

ReputationRep:
    Join a load of clubs and actively attend them. You'll meet like-minded people and from there your social life should kick-off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhystolson)
    The way to make new friends, especially in university, is to just be open minded! On the first night, majority of your housemates will be in the same situation... just left home, sad and wanting to make friends/fit in.

Forget about comfort zones... get out there! Join in on conversations, outings to the pubs/clubs (Even if you don't like drinking, just have one and then stick to the soft drinks!) When you arrive at your uni accommodation try to keep your door open as much as possible, so buy a door wedge! This will encourage your flatmates to talk to you and you'll make friendships.

Whatever you do, don't wait a long time before initiating conversation... your bonds need to be formed within the first few days, and therefore carry you through the rest of your university experience.

Basically, get out of your comfort zones and try to engage with the other people who are in your flat. Another good way to make friends is to join your universities clubs/societies... there should be a 'fayre' on which will allow you to see all of the society that the uni has to offer!

Good luck, let me know how you get one!
    Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply! I'll keep all this in mind and I'll let you know how it turns out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Join a load of clubs and actively attend them. You'll meet like-minded people and from there your social life should kick-off!
    I'll be sure to, thanks.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.