Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

M1 Help

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Feeling like I'm being really dumb about this question but if anyone could help to point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474543910.673187.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  147.9 KB

Need to work out the forces of P and Q. Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unrealistic)
    Feeling like I'm being really dumb about this question but if anyone could help to point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474543910.673187.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  147.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Other than the diagram most of the question is missing so at a guess......
    Resolve the P and Q forces vertically and horizontally (parallel and perpendicular to the 9N)
    Form and solve simultaneous equations for the forces that are in equilibrium

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel dumb, I'm not sure how to do it either. I haven't actually stared M1 yet but I have done AS Physics. I think P and Q should just share the 9N proportional (or maybe inversely proportional) to their angles so I'd just do 9*(25/60) for P and 9*(35/60) for Q. Hope that helped a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unrealistic)
    Feeling like I'm being really dumb about this question but if anyone could help to point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Assuming the particle is in equilibrium (ie not moving):

P\cos(65)=Q\cos(55)

and

P\sin(65)+Q\sin(55) = 9

Two unknowns, two equations. Simultaneous equations to solve.

Here is a diagram to make it clear where it came from, if you know your trigonometry, you can use angles of 25 and 35 directly but from the diagram it is easier to see how vertical and horizontal forces balance so I'm using those. Still gets the right answer so don't worry.

Name:  FORCE.PNG
Views: 13
Size:  342.6 KB

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is the best character in Friends

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.