Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Hitler comparisons make you look ignorant

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Yes, he's the modern form of fascism. It's similar to Berlusconi in Italy, Farage in the UK, Wilders in the Netherlands, Le Pen in France or the AFD in Germany - they are all basically blaming migrant groups for the economic crash and winning reactionary votes, plus the votes of the part of the working class for whom social democracy has visibly failed.

The scale of the effects of the financial crash of 2008 on the western economies has been huge and it is the stagnating incomes, high unemployment and limited opportunities that are scaring voters into supporting these apparent clowns.

Behind the jovial pretences of these hard right people lies a menacing future - they will base our societies on hate, not progress and on blame and victimisation, not rational evaluation of what can be done to bring us out of the economic malaise we are in.

It isn't exactly the same as the 1930s, but there are a lot of similarities.
    The problem is we rewrite history to fit our perceptions of our time. Yes there are comparisons between these people and Hitler, but there are large differences even between those you listed, what they stand for and what their motivations are.

Both history and politics is more nuanced than that. Corbyn isn't Lenin, even though he likes to dress like him, Trump isn't Hitler, even though he inspires hate of minorty groups.

Once we are able to get past these lazy comparisons we might be able to address the problems they both create and claim to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's fine comparing something or someone to the Nazis or Hitler, when the comparison is relevant and you know about the subject.
    But my point is they generally are not and the comparisons are typically lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Not everything can be compared to the Nazis and bringing up Hitler does not make you a history scholar. I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now, not only is he compared to Hitler, he's replaced him for spurious comparisons.

There should be a law where you are prohibited to have an opinion on important topics when you do this.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-ne...isons-forever/
    Um... I think that sounds like something Hitler would say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck10101)
    Um... I think that sounds like something Hitler would say.
    Only in German ... and a bit angrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I have never compared Trump to Hitler, but some of the same Trump supporters who are against this have compared Muslims to Nazis.

So they are hypocrites.
    W-w-wait... what?

Source?

ReputationRep:
    Hitler was a great man who stood against the Jewish bankers and in the beginning supported a Jewish state in Israel (Haavara agreement) just to rid Europe of the Jewish Bolshevik menace. That was until of course they realised it would bring nothing but trouble. They were right after all look at the Middle East today. In flames, with Israel unscathed.

In contrast Donald Trump is a Shabbos goy with no idea who the real enemy is. He's not nearly as bad as Hilary though.

Not everything can be compared to the Nazis and bringing up Hitler does not make you a history scholar. I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now, not only is he compared to Hitler, he's replaced him for spurious comparisons.

There should be a law where you are prohibited to have an opinion on important topics when you do this.

There have been some legitimate parallels between Trump and Hitler. Their antisemitism being the most obvious; Jews were (apparently, according to Hitler) responsible for the fall of Germany. Likewise, apparently Muslims are responsible for the fall of the USA. Mexicans are bringing crime and rapists into the USA - just like non-Aryans were into Germany and other parts of Europe.

Not only that, but there are some very big parallels in their personalities - such as being very charismatic speakers, capable of getting a drowd to feel whatever they want them to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Don't tell me what analogies I can draw, or support laws banning freedom of expression.

That's the sort of thing Hitler would have done.
    Beat me to it!

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell me what I can't tell you, that's just like Trump.
    Just ask yourself, "what would Ken Livingstone say?"

ReputationRep:

Often, the people that are comparing Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler are joking, although there are some striking resemblances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I have never compared Trump to Hitler, but some of the same Trump supporters who are against this have compared Muslims to Nazis.

So they are hypocrites.
    There are certainly ideological similarities between Islam and fascism. However, saying Muslims are like Nazis is just silly. A more apposite analogy would be that Muslims are like 1930s Germans and Islamists are like Nazis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's fine comparing something or someone to the Nazis or Hitler, when the comparison is relevant and you know about the subject.
    Another important element is being able to tell the difference between using Nazis in an analogy, and comparing someone to Nazis.
    I'm genuinely bewildered at how many so-called "students" who seem incapable of this simple task.
    But then, there are also plenty on here who think that unless an opinion poll asks every member of a population, it cannot be representative. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JêwishRacism)
    Hitler was a great man who stood against the Jewish bankers and in the beginning supported a Jewish state in Israel (Haavara agreement) just to rid Europe of the Jewish Bolshevik menace. That was until of course they realised it would bring nothing but trouble. They were right after all look at the Middle East today. In flames, with Israel unscathed.

In contrast Donald Trump is a Shabbos goy with no idea who the real enemy is. He's not nearly as bad as Hilary though.
    Careful, your tinfoil hat is slipping. I'm picking up your thoughts on my DAB radio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Beat me to it!
    Like Hitler did with jet aircraft and rocket technology.

ReputationRep:

Thank **** we have our tin foil hats to protect us from those fiendish Jews and their Illuminati overlords.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Often, the people that are comparing Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler are joking, although there are some striking resemblances.
    There are far more differences. You can compare anyone to anything if you select your facts carefully enough.

ReputationRep:

mfw both sides of the political establishment in lockdown
    mfw Alex Jones' wife is chosen af
    mfw Stormfags gonna lose from now til the end of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    There have been some legitimate parallels between Trump and Hitler. Their antisemitism being the most obvious; Jews were (apparently, according to Hitler) responsible for the fall of Germany. Likewise, apparently Muslims are responsible for the fall of the USA. Mexicans are bringing crime and rapists into the USA - just like non-Aryans were into Germany and other parts of Europe.

Not only that, but there are some very big parallels in their personalities - such as being very charismatic speakers, capable of getting a drowd to feel whatever they want them to.
    The only comparison, and it's a loose one, is populist racism, that's it. He isn't charismatic and he's an awful speaker. What is it he actually stands for? That crowd already held these views, he is just an opportunistic conman taking advantage of the platform vacated by a morally inconsistent left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Trump's not Hitler but he's clearly an ill-informed opportunistic *******. I do not think he believes the nonsense he spouts because he clearly believes in nothing but self-promotion and self-enrichment. He knows American prejudices, he plays them well merely to advance his own career. He's the ultimate power-hungry amoral *******.
    Things that Hitler was that you just stated about Trump:

1. ill-informed opportunistic *******.
    2.believed in self-promotion and self-enrichment (his close affiliation with conservative party of Germany)
    3. Hitler knew German prejudices (or rather European prejudices), anti-semitism was rife throughout Europe before, leading up to and during his reign as fuhrer.
    4. It has been argued by many Historians that Hitler used these prejudices (not always as effectively as he thought) to gain favour from the masses.

Honestly, I could list the paralells until next year. Trump is doing the same, or very similar in his campaign to Hitler. This is dangerous! People trusted Hitler because he was charismatic and a good speaker (things that Trump also emulates). This led to some of the biggest catastrophes this world has ever seen! Don't even give him an inch of leeway, or he'll slip through the cracks of the nation's psyche and History will repeat itself or create a new bloody marker on the map of human events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Things that Hitler was that you just stated about Trump:

1. ill-informed opportunistic *******.
    2.believed in self-promotion and self-enrichment (his close affiliation with conservative party of Germany)
    3. Hitler knew German prejudices (or rather European prejudices), anti-semitism was rife throughout Europe before, leading up to and during his reign as fuhrer.
    4. It has been argued by many Historians that Hitler used these prejudices (not always as effectively as he thought) to gain favour from the masses.

Honestly, I could list the paralells until next year. Trump is doing the same, or very similar in his campaign to Hitler. This is dangerous! People trusted Hitler because he was charismatic and a good speaker (things that Trump also emulates). This led to some of the biggest catastrophes this world has ever seen! Don't even give him an inch of leeway, or he'll slip through the cracks of the nation's psyche and History will repeat itself or create a new bloody marker on the map of human events.
    1. Of all the issues people have with Hitler, being uninformed has never been one.

2. All politicians self-promote, elections are popularity contests, but financial greed was never Hitler's motivation. he was an idealogue, Trump is anything but.

3. Trump does use populist racist rhetoric, this is a fair comparison, but it is still a loose one.

4. That's the same as 3.

Things that Ghandi and Hitler were

1. Vegetarian
    2. Against Capitalism
    3. Religious
    4. Charismatic

None of which apply to Trump.

It isn't about accepting Trump's message, it's about not making lazy comparisons. You can hate Trump on his own terms, Hitler comparisons only appear feeble minded.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.