Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Will previous applications to a company hurt my present chances?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

To start, I am applying to several consultancy firms this autumn and aside from not being a business grad/having a consulting internship, I think I'm otherwise a pretty good candidate. I have a first class degree from Oxford, an internship at Department of Business, and several university projects I've been involved in.

However - I'm really worried that previous applications to certain firms will hurt my chances with them. My situation is a bit complicated - I basically applied to grad jobs/internships at firms last year (I just graduated) because I felt a lot of pressure from university and my social group to go into that career. At the time I had very little experience so wasn't really qualified, and also didn't have the motivation for it that I've now built up. So I applied anyway, but annoyingly the applications were wasted since I didn't have the credentials I do now and didn't really want the roles at the time - so all my applications were understandingly rejected or withdrawn by myself.

I'm worried now that these failed applications are reflecting badly on my current applications. I have already been rejected by Deloitte, without invitation to online tests. I know there is so much competition and the reason may be that I'm not as good as I think I am, but I think objectively my qualifications and internship sounds quite good (please correct me if I'm wrong!!). The Oxford careers service was also very complimentary of my cover letter so I do feel as though I've got outside validation on my experiences being good enough? I've applied for a few other places last week and haven't been invited to tests yet - I know it's only a few days but I thought normally the invitations were pretty automatic once you'd passed basic criteria like degree?

Would appreciate any advice! I've already applied to the big ones annoyingly so have less scope to offer an explanation for my previous applications in a cover letter etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think companies will certainly factor in previous failed applications. A lot of Investment Banks demand that you apply using the same account as before, and even go as far as having algorithms that can detect duplicate accounts. I'm not sure if Big 4/Consulting is the same.

That said, I don't think it would harm your chances unless you failed at the assessment centre or on the internship itself. If you got rejected based on your application then that's usually due to lack of preparation/experience, and both of these can easily be improved over a year.

You should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The official line from HR always is that previous applications and interviews do not impact your next application and that it will be assessed independently. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea.

Always find it suspicious though if they ask for dates you've previously interviewed on the application forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.