The Student Room Group

Applying to University

Hi, i really want to do dentistry or biomedical sciences, but i heard that some universities do not accept the fact that i have resat my whole AS year, (therefore meaning that i will complete my a levels in a 3 year period not the usual two).

However...in my ucas application, how will they know if i have done 3 years? Do i have to mention it? What if i don't mention it?

Thanks guys.
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
Hi, i really want to do dentistry or biomedical sciences, but i heard that some universities do not accept the fact that i have resat my whole AS year, (therefore meaning that i will complete my a levels in a 3 year period not the usual two).

However...in my ucas application, how will they know if i have done 3 years? Do i have to mention it? What if i don't mention it?

Thanks guys.

You have to declare all of your certified qualifications. That means your first attempts at AS will be listed alongside your second attempts and your predicted A level grades.

Plus you have to list GCSEs and so it will be clear that there is a 3 year gap between completing GCSEs and getting your A levels.

It's unlikely to matter for biomed and depending on the reason for restarting Yr12 (eg if you changed subjects or had exceptional circumstances requiring a repeat year) then it might not matter for Dentistry. You'd be best off contacting all of the dentistry schools in the UK (there's only a handful of them) to double check their policy and whether they'll accept an application from someone in your situation.

Don't be tempted to lie or withhold information - I've known people kicked out of medical degrees for withholding information on their initial application, lying is considered to be a fitness to practice issue by many health professions and could have far more serious consequences than being up front about your background.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
You have to declare all of your certified qualifications. That means your first attempts at AS will be listed alongside your second attempts and your predicted A level grades.

Plus you have to list GCSEs and so it will be clear that there is a 3 year gap between completing GCSEs and getting your A levels.

It's unlikely to matter for biomed and depending on the reason for restarting Yr12 (eg if you changed subjects or had exceptional circumstances requiring a repeat year) then it might not matter for Dentistry. You'd be best off contacting all of the dentistry schools in the UK (there's only a handful of them) to double check their policy and whether they'll accept an application from someone in your situation.

Don't be tempted to lie or withhold information - I've known people kicked out of medical degrees for withholding information on their initial application, lying is considered to be a fitness to practice issue by many health professions and could have far more serious consequences than being up front about your background.

Thanks for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest