Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

28th Sept: What worries you most about University?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    What worries you most about University?

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on The Surgery this Wednesday as they take a look at how going to Uni can affect your mental health – whether you suffer from anxiety or something more.

Are you worried you won’t cope at University? Is the pressure getting you down? Are you scared to leave your support network behind?

Share your feelings about starting college with us, and tune in to Radio 1 from 9pm on Wednesday 28th September for help and advice on study worries.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a rubbish degree classification is the only thing I worry about.

No one wants to spend all that money and only come out with a Desmond.

ReputationRep:
    Single going in, single coming out.

Which is exactly what happened. Got my first though :yep:

Honestly it's more to do with getting by financially. I'm going to be cutting ties with my parents (reasons I don't want to go into) but I won't have any financial support apart from my student loans and the money I have in my savings account (which is only like £500). Getting a part time job at uni is a possibility for me at the moment but honestly, I'd rather focus on my uni work more so I can come out with above a 2:1. One of my friends is in a similar position to me and she's doing a part time job and having sugar daddies. Atm she's got enough to last her a year at uni with a nice holiday at the end. Sugar daddies isn't something that appeals to me much though. I'd rather just have loads of part time jobs in the holidays and then get by somehow, which'll be fairly hard because uni students are so social.

ReputationRep:
    I worry that I won't be able to cope and that I won't be able to achieve. I had to take a year out in college, and I hardly attended my last couple of years at school. Even when I didn't attend, I wasn't in the classroom. I was in a separate building completely on my own. I'm going to see how I go over the next few months and decide whether I need a gap year or not, but I definitely want to go more than anything. I'm also worried about moving away from all of my doctors and how this will affect my health. I don't want to have to repeat the last 10 years of getting someone to believe me, and to treat me, all over again. Note: I have chronic health conditions

ReputationRep:
    I am afraid that I am going to university to study what I don't like and I would regret in further years of studying. That the study is completely different what I imagined before the beginning. That I would get problems with pressure to bring it to an end and not able to cope with the requirements of being a student.*

I'm already considering transferring. I'm regretting the move and I'm not comfortable with the people around me. I've had an amount of depression and anxiety in the past and since I arrived, although I know it's early days, it feels like its already at its peak. I've actually enjoyed everything I've been taught so far, but currently, I'm more so considering applying for the same course but just back at my home time where I can be around others I already know. I don't enjoy the transitioning of moving.

Worried about literally everything.
    In terms of finance im worried i wont have enough maintenance loan to get by because idk how much my dad earns and if he isn't being made redundant i might not get that much even tho when he is taxed we get hardly any of it anyway and im not getting hardly any financial support from my parents.
    Worried that i might just stay the same, im desperate to change and to do 'normal teenage things' i would like to go out a bit but im worried i wont have the confidence to do that.
    Worried about the whole alcohol situation given that i've never drank although i would like to try it i just dont know how really.
    Worried about the hassel in case i get a relationship, would like to 'come out' at uni but idk if i can deal with the hassel and worried in case ppl from my current school go to my uni and then take the piss or whatever or tell ppl that i 'look straight' or whatever ._.

Worried that I'll go insane from extreme social reclusion and resulting depression. 4 years is a long time to be completely secluded from human life, distorting the brain with nonstop study of mathematics (not being able to take part in anything else due to extreme social anxiety).
    Will struggle greatly to make meals in the kitchen, go to the shops etc. because these activities require being around people, the former being worst because of the obligation to converse with strangers. Will probably end up skipping some meals.
    Will probably starve lol.
    Will be frustrated that I can't take part in my favourite hobbies because they require social interaction with people I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Single going in, single coming out.

Which is exactly what happened. Got my first though :yep:
    If that is your greatest anxiety as student, you seem to be self-confident. You have really no doubts, haven't you? *

Having my family close to me makes me feel safe and secure, even if I don't talk to them but I know they're there. I'm worried about being alone with my thoughts in an unfamiliar place, in an unfamiliar room and how that will affect my anxiety levels because I'm always in a heightened, anxious state at the best of times. Probably more recently too because of the stress of making these big life decisions.

I'm trying to not overthink it and picture it in a positive light but that anxious part of me keeps rising to the surface and it's freaking me out. I've also never been drunk and don't see the appeal but I guess I'll just be thrust into that environment anyway and will have to deal with it when it happens. We also don't have a lot of money as a family and my parents are only just managing to support my brother at uni by the looks of things. I'm also worried about being overwhelmed by work and letting it ruin my enjoyment of the subject... plus I just don't want to let people down because I've had this huge expectation/pressure on me my whole life to excel academically. To be honest, if I could list all my worries, this post would go on for ages. I wish I could go back to being a little kid when everything was exciting and stress and anxiety weren't even things I knew about. *Sigh*

ReputationRep:
    getting to know people cause rn havent got anyone to explore the new surroundings with

For the past few years I've been suffering from depression and anxiety which got so bad during my A Levels that I couldn't go a day of school without crying to my Head of Year. I just about managed to get through my exams with the help of therapy and medication. This summer, after finishing my A Levels and having 3 months off studying, I finally started to feel better. Now I'm worried that when I go to university next week I will go back to feeling how I did before: very down, suicidal, constantly anxious etc, only it will all be 1000x harder because it'll be in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For the past few years I've been suffering from depression and anxiety which got so bad during my A Levels that I couldn't go a day of school without crying to my Head of Year. I just about managed to get through my exams with the help of therapy and medication. This summer, after finishing my A Levels and having 3 months off studying, I finally started to feel better. Now I'm worried that when I go to university next week I will go back to feeling how I did before: very down, suicidal, constantly anxious etc, only it will all be 1000x harder because it'll be in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar people.
    DId you have think about to take a break for a longer time span, say over one year (quasi as a declared voluntary social year of your own)? in this condition you are, it makes no sense to study something. Even less if you don't know why you are going to university. And I have the impression that you aren't know why you do that in the future. What you need is to find your ways. In the one hand to manage your mental problems, in the other hand to find your way to a profession you really want to become to. Before you have not solved this struggles of yourself, you have not a clear mind to cope with university life and the everyday issues as a student. And you need a clear mind to handle it. **

The classification

ReputationRep:
    Trying to get into the one I want!

I've just moved to London from a small rural town ready for a Monday start; this is the first time I've been away from my mum except for when visiting family. Whilst suddenly having to do everything for myself is a bit of a shock its not insurmountable, and in a few weeks, when I have my own routine, I'll be fine on that score. What really worries me though is not having my family close by when I feel the pressures of getting work done to the standard I want; I'm aiming for at least a 2.1 but ideally want a First as I would like, at the moment, to take my studies further.

I also worry that I won't make friends. I'm naturally introverted and have little confidence in new situations, so I'm concerned that everyone will be busy forming their little cliques whilst I'm trying to find the confidence to say hello. I have therefore set myself the challenge of getting involved in two university societies in areas I find interesting. One of these areas being the debating society, though I think I'm more likely to be a spectator rather than a partaker unless I can get a handle on my nerves!

Finally, the pressures of the course itself and feeling that I'm a fraud. I don't feel I know enough about the topic. I know some may think that sounds mad, and although all the modules this year are introductory and I was given no reading over the summer, I can't help but feel like I'm possibly going to struggle to keep my head above water at one of the countries fiercest academic institutions. Until just a few days ago the idea of embarking upon such a life-altering change was novel; living five years in the future, envisaging a successful outcome and laying the foundations of a fulfilling career was a pleasant distraction to the reality of my fears. Now said fears are staring me in the eye and I feel I'm going to spend most of this year running from the terror of failure. Hopefully these fears will be what pushes me over the finish line, proud of my achievements instead of denying I ever tried.

Thanks BBC for giving me the opportunity to get this off my chest. It may not be the absolute catharsis I've been craving, but it's helped a little...apologies however for the ramble!

ReputationRep:
    I know the question is probs aimed at undergrads but as a disabled PhD student, my three main concerns are:

1. What happens if my supervisor gets pregnant and goes on maternity leave in the middle of my PhD
    2. What happens if someone from the disability office (with whom I work very closely) leaves
    3. If my supervisor changes institutions mid-PhD, do I follow her but lose the disability support? Or do I stay put, but lose the supervisor?

:nopity:

Financial - I have a high household income (according to student finance), so I am getting the minimum loan, but with 3 of us going to uni at the same time I don't think it will be affordable, esp. as we all want to go to london unis. I worry that I will be in a financially uncomfortable situation, which I'm not used to.

Social - I'm scared I won't make many friends (real close friends). When I picture uni I picture having loads of fun with friends but I'm scared I won't actually have any.

Relationships - Never had a relationship and I hope that that'll change when I go to uni, but I doubt it :/

Work - I worry that I won't get the internships that I need to secure a job in the field I want to work in.

This seems like a lot of worries, but I am really excited as well!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources
Radio 1 - The Surgery

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.