Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If you could end all suffering, would you?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    If my massive poos had no physical pain associated with them I'd feel no sense of relief and happiness when I finished them. I couldn't live in a world like that.

Also what about the poor masochists?
    Well the utilitarian principle is pleasure-pain=goodness
    It's not just about minimisation of pain

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by RobML)
    Maximise pleasure, minimise suffering, why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism - a long held Western value and belief.

If i 'could' end suffering, like I was an omnipotent being, of course I would.

Can't remember where I read it. But there was an amazing site that argued that amputees, that prayed, and believed in God, proved either his non-existence, or that he was not all benevolent. But instead kinda evil, considering he could prevent natural disasters that massacre innocents also.

Not sure what level you want to discuss this. But bringing it back down to a more human perspective. Don't we all have some 'duty' to at least help alleviate suffering in the world as much as possible.

The outpourings of genuine sympathy, and cash money donations, whenever a tragic world event happens, shows that 'most' humans are really benevolent and charitable in nature. Surely it's a 'hard wired' (hate that term, but useful shorthand), for evolutionary advantage to be warm-hearted and generous to others suffering. Because one day you might be in a similar dire situation.

If there were a choice between doing nothing versus ending all suffering, I'd choose to do away with it. But, if we were offered a dimmer switch, where we could choose to merely scale it down, I think that may be the better way to go. It does depend on what we really mean by suffering.

If suffering is only a feeling that the experiencer would choose to, in all instances given the power, do away with, then it would be better to get rid of all of it. I don't think it's totally that way though. For example, if a loved one is lost, the resultant grief is a type of suffering, but I don't believe many people would choose to get rid of it. The grief is a natural consequence of your connection with the person who was lost, and not to grieve is almost to say that you had no connection with that person.

Another example we could look at is the fatigue one experiences after intense exercise. When running, it starts to burn. When lifting weights, the muscles scream. If you isolated those feelings and applied them to a situation where, for example, someone with ill-intent were inflicting them on you, of course you'd dislike it and want the person to stop. However, the context in which they're naturally received is one where you're pushing yourself in order to grow and strengthen yourself as a person, or achieve the best of your potential. In that context, I don't believe many people would want to get rid of them.

It could be argued that these things aren't 'true' instances of suffering, in which case it'd be prudent to choose to get rid of all suffering. But, if they're considered to be simply low-level instances of suffering, it'd probably be better to keep them.

You have to go through forms of hardship in order to experience "life" imo, it's all part of the learning curve and makes you a more well-rounded person.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.