The Student Room Group

Sixth Form not allowing me to retake my Maths Exam!

Hello, I've missed the deadline for the November Maths Higher GCSE Edexcel exam RETAKE. I've checked Edexcel's website and their official deadline is on 5th October

Pretty much I'm contacting regarding about the 'GCSE MATHS' November retake. Pretty much this is my issue, I missed the deadline to pay for the fees which was yesterday and it put me into a difficult situation as I really need to redo this exam. Reason I couldn't pay yesterday due to my parents not being able to withdraw cash. As I've only got the letter 3 days ago. On the Edexcel site, I've checked the deadline for entry and it said it on 5th October
I did to go the official at the school, however they said it too late and there is no alternative, but there is.. As I've checked their website.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Centre%20administration/Edexcel-Quals-Pricelist-2015-2016.pdf

What do I do? ;(
I'd recommend that your parents complain to the school on the basis of what you've told us here.*
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I'd recommend that your parents complain to the school on the basis of what you've told us here.*

Alright that's on my list, but im kinda looking for any alternative ways I can pay? Instead of sixth form
Reply 3
In addition to the deadline being the beginning of October it is also possible to be entered for the exam as a late entry well after that date (although the fee is much higher). Your school have obviously set an internal deadline and are refusing to enter you on this basis. I would advise asking your parents to contact the school and explain the situation - complain to the Head if necessary.
Reply 4
Original post by Eduard-Student
Alright that's on my list, but im kinda looking for any alternative ways I can pay? Instead of sixth form

You could ring round and see if anyone will accept you as an external candidate. Are you at the sixth form of the school you took your GCSEs at? If not you could try them or your local college.
The issue is that my parents don't really have a good understanding of what's going on, so I'm afraid if they try contact them they will end up now explaining/complaining the situation properly, causing them to also reject my parents.
The issue is that my parents don't really have a good understanding of what's going on, so I'm afraid if they try contact them they will end up now explaining/complaining the situation properly, causing them to also reject my parents.

Speak to the head of sixth form or a teacher you trust. You could sit it externally. You could also get your parents to come in and actually explain the situation and tell them how to respond beforehand.
Reply 7

So ask your parents to email and 'help' them write the email. Remember to ask them to reply asap due to the urgent nature of your query/complaint.
Alright i'll try that.
Just incase, if they still reject it. What do I do? I don't want days to pass with me relying on the school. I'd like to know if there is any alternative ways I can retake this exam?
Alright i'll try that.

Don't forget to say that it is vital you sit the exam in November and that it was due to both financial reasons AND the fact you didn't have the letter earlier that you were late paying. Mention that you don't feel it is fair that you are penalised because of financial delays which were beyond your control.
Just incase, if they still reject it. What do I do? I don't want days to pass with me relying on the school. I'd like to know if there is any alternative ways I can retake this exam?

The only other way to be entered is as an external student at another centre. You will need to ring (or Google) and find out which centres in your area accept external candidates.
Thank you so much everyone, I wouldn't know at all what I would of done without your help, I just extremely hope that they reply to the email asap and accept it,

Is there any chance of sitting the exam in the summer?

If not, and your school still rejects your entry, try and find an exam centre that will take you. They may charge a higher price than usual if it's a late entry (and also considering that you'll be entering as a private candidate) but it's better than nothing.
Yeah,
The only other way to be entered is as an external student at another centre. You will need to ring (or Google) and find out which centres in your area accept external candidates. Also make sure it's the GCSE with the same specification you're doing and not a different qualification.

First thing to do is to really put the pressure on them with your parents and you to let them enter you in, even if it's a late entry with a higher fee and maybe take a print of that pdf.

As a last resort, if all of those don't work, even though they should, do an IGCSE and enter an exam as an external candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest