The Student Room Group

GCSE History how to answer "how far do you agree" questions?

Hi everyone,

I'm doing GCSE History (AQA) at the moment, and I'm currently doing my coursework. The question is on German women in 1934-1945, and its a "how far do you agree with this statement" question.
I'm not that good at structuring essays anyway, but this has totally flummoxed me!
Can anyone help me by just giving me a couple of hints to start and finish my essay? Also, using sources are difficult, so if you could give me some tips that would be fabulous.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by champion13
Hi everyone,

I'm doing GCSE History (AQA) at the moment, and I'm currently doing my coursework. The question is on German women in 1934-1945, and its a "how far do you agree with this statement" question.
I'm not that good at structuring essays anyway, but this has totally flummoxed me!
Can anyone help me by just giving me a couple of hints to start and finish my essay? Also, using sources are difficult, so if you could give me some tips that would be fabulous.

Thank you!

I think with questions like that, if you were to say, I agree/disagree to a certain extent, you have to show why you haven't agreed/disagreed to a full extent ie. what makes you reconsider, or what evidence is there on the other side of the argument, the one that you are not making - it is more a discussion I feel as oppose to you trying to prove a point, however I only took History to Year 9, but that's what I can remember. Hope this helps
Reply 2
Start by analysing both arguements for/against the proposition. Critique them both and compare/contrast a bit whilst leading with the answer you believe is correct according tothe availible data.
they're jolly easy once you get going)

As for sources... try and use primary ones more than any other. You can cherry pick to a degree the content to fit your arguement to. As for referencing i've yet to meet a teacher who checks that oits wholly accurate..
Hi Champion13! Im doing GCSE History atm too, but our exam board is OCR. I think we have the exact same question tho cos ours is structured in the same way and is about german women.

Im soooo sorry im proz not gonna b that helpful cos i need help myself but our school gave us lots of advice. We were told to structure it in different topics... so like education (about german womens education improved/effected their lives and stuff). We were also told that we just have to explain ourselves and also to say how different women's lives improved (so like how aryan womens lives would have been different to like jewish womans lives in germany and saying how their lives improved or diddnt improve). Hopefuly that helps!

Im really rubbish at sources and they diddnt give us much advice on them... I would appreciate if someone could help on sources. =D
Original post by Shadow_12
Hi Champion13! Im doing GCSE History atm too, but our exam board is OCR. I think we have the exact same question tho cos ours is structured in the same way and is about german women.

Im soooo sorry im proz not gonna b that helpful cos i need help myself but our school gave us lots of advice. We were told to structure it in different topics... so like education (about german womens education improved/effected their lives and stuff). We were also told that we just have to explain ourselves and also to say how different women's lives improved (so like how aryan womens lives would have been different to like jewish womans lives in germany and saying how their lives improved or diddnt improve). Hopefuly that helps!

Im really rubbish at sources and they diddnt give us much advice on them... I would appreciate if someone could help on sources. =D

Yeah, I got this question too (My exam board must be OCR, I didn't check - whoops) I am just freaking out atm because it's starting soon and I'm not fully clocked up with sources!
Yeah, I got this question too (My exam board must be OCR, I didn't check - whoops) I am just freaking out atm because it's starting soon and I'm not fully clocked up with sources!

Same! There's this website called spartcus which is really good for sources
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Your introduction needs to address the question and outline your argument. Time is of the essence so really you can list your main points - do not explain them or you'll be there for too long.

First point - give the opposing view first, and ensure the points you make can be looked at again but from your perspective.
Second point - give your own view, make sure this is you're strongest point, if you really want to be good you should argue yourself (i.e. present a counterargument to a point you make, and then knock it)
Third point - repeat of the above

Conclusion needs to again address the question and take the last bits of your main points and shove them in. Don't introduce anything new or you'll lose marks for undeveloped answers.

You may run out of time, so very briefly conclude at the end of each paragraph to ensure you don't lose many marks. Also plan your points at the beginning and have an example or two for each one.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending